The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: street magic in poland (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
M.P.D.
View Profile
New user
illinois
54 Posts

Profile of M.P.D.
I have been doing street magic now for a very long time, and now, I am in Europe... I must say that in Europe street performers are treated much more like artists than mere entertainers. They really respond to every effect...

So far, I have been using the swallowing razor blade effect, hummer card (on non-windy days) no-tear, and I find that Hollingworths travelers effect gets a good shock out of everyone.

I also enjoy the balloon swallowing on the streets... it blows away the balloon sculpters HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I also don't speak Polish right now, but I am learning, so I am really putting my ablilities to the test and I am loving the challenge.

Believe me when I say that in performance of magic, there is no greater challenge than doing an act silently. I find that I am very able in keeping the audience leaning more and more torward me with every effect.

What do you all think about silent magic? Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
It is my opinion that any entertainer who solely relies on words to communicate - is missing out on a myriad of other means to express themselves.

So I say "communicate every way possible, and if necessary use words" (a paraphrase from a Saint, but every bit as true in performing as in preaching the Gospel)

I admire your courage to step into another culture without the benefit of language skills, and I admire your skill to perform completely without the usual pattter and banter.

I have seen a number of performers at all levels, that I wish would learn to perform without words, since the words don't add anything - except something to the performers ego.

Keep up the good work friend!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
I've performed in Europe (including Poland) and found that you can easily get by without knowing the language. I now speak Polish, as well as French, Germand and Gaelic, but find that just a few phrases can help endear yourself to a crowd. If you are foreign, it can help to play on this - you can create a lot of comedy this way. I often wear a kilt when performing abroad for this reason.

Cheers

ML
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
By the way, M.P.D, where in Poland have you been performing? I was in Krakow.