The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Captiulating Cards (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
It's nice and is no doubt a fooler but I don't like the discrepancy, if it were discrepant just once it would be ok but it's discrepant throughout.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Too bad because that discrepancy does not compute in a spectator's brain. It just doesn't register. This is one of my favorite packet tricks and never had I had the discrepancy noticed or commented on. If anything, the only trouble I've had with the routine is one person suspected that I had more than four cards. Thankfully I know a gambler's cop...

Quote:
On Jul 28, 2022, warren wrote:
It's nice and is no doubt a fooler but I don't like the discrepancy, if it were discrepant just once it would be ok but it's discrepant throughout.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
[quote]On Jul 28, 2022, Kaliix wrote:
Too bad because that discrepancy does not compute in a spectator's brain. It just doesn't register. This is one of my favorite packet tricks and never had I had the discrepancy noticed or commented on. If anything, the only trouble I've had with the routine is one person suspected that I had more than four cards. Thankfully I know a gambler's cop...( quote )

I'm sure the discepancy flies in the real world but with so many other great packet tricks out there which don't have a repeated discrepancy I don't feel I would want to add this effect to my repertoire.... I'm glad it works well for you though and as I said it really is a nice effect Smile
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1717 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
The discrepancy works on video as well:

Sure, some people with knowledge of sleight of hand will work it out, but I don't think this small inconsistency damages the deception. But, hey, make your own mind up and you do what suits you. Larry Jennings thought that this was the best gaff packet trick in existence, which should say something about the power of this trick.

However, if the discrepancy bothers you, then that is a good enough reason not to perform the trick. John Bannon and Paul Gordon have plenty of tricks with a similar rainbow card finishes. As does Kyle Purnell; see his new(ish) trick "Rainbow Road".

Marty
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
Marty it no doubt flies by none magicians but as a magician I noticed it on the very first count and obviously as it is done through out my suspicions were spot on.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1717 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Yeah, it isn't going to fool anyone with any knowledge of spooky arithmetic! Smile Much in the same way that an ACR isn't going to fool a magician who has learnt a twin elevator. But, as I said, if you don't like the discrepancy, then I agree that you should move on to something else. I happen to like discrepant and illogical moves (thanks to studying with Justin Higham). It makes the deception even more delicious!
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
337 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
If someone points out the discrepancy, why not just work it into the routine:

“Ah, you see; as soon as a queen thinks she’s special she starts to rise up above the others!”
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2022, martyjacobs wrote:
The discrepancy works on video as well:

Sure, some people with knowledge of sleight of hand will work it out, but I don't think this small inconsistency damages the deception. But, hey, make your own mind up and you do what suits you. Larry Jennings thought that this was the best gaff packet trick in existence, which should say something about the power of this trick.

However, if the discrepancy bothers you, then that is a good enough reason not to perform the trick. John Bannon and Paul Gordon have plenty of tricks with a similar rainbow card finishes. As does Kyle Purnell; see his new(ish) trick "Rainbow Road".

Marty

Anywhere you see a classic like Capitulating Queens with another classic like Doug Conn, well, then you know it must be good and you’re definitely journeying the right way. Still love it! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4757 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Best packet trick of all time. I’ve been performing it for about 25 yrs. Gets great reactions and no one has ever mentioned the discrepancy.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Warren (and others), Verne Chesbro and Larry West describe a way to avoid the discrepancy in Capitulating Queen's mom, Martin Garner's trick "All the Nonconformists." Description is in their pamphlet Tricks You Can Count On. I don't know whether their nondiscrepant method carries over to Cap. Qu.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
But I'll add that both Michael Ammar and Michael Skinner have discrepant versions of All the Nonconformists, so evidently the discrepancy flies by laypeople, as the otehr people in this thread have suggested.