The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians :: Digital or Hard Copy? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
828 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 21:01, Merenkov wrote:
So it was never really a “better deal” than MAGIC, it was just a different deal.

Make no mistake - this sort of "different" IS better. Smile

I currently have both - but I feel Genii is not only weightier in material, but you get MUCH more access because of the archives. SO MUCH WIN!

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Quote:
Make no mistake - this sort of "different" IS better.

That's like saying an ad-free subscription to Pandora is a better deal than buying a CD, since Pandora gives you thousands of songs to listen to for that subscription. But the catch is that you have to continuously subscribe to listen to those songs on Pandora, and you also have to have internet access. But if I buy a CD, I own it forever and can listen to it whenever I want, without the need for internet access. So which is the better value between subscribing to Pandora or buying a CD? I don't know personally, as I see value in each option. They're just different. The same logic applies to Genii and MAGIC. To view those digital versions of your Genii subscription, you have to maintain that subscription forever (unless you buy those issues separately, for a cost above your subscription fee). To view issues of MAGIC or Genii that you purchased separately, you can open them at anytime on your iPad forever (note that the digital issues of Genii are $6.00/issue, though, compared to $3.99/issue for MAGIC).
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
828 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 19:35, Merenkov wrote:
Quote:
Make no mistake - this sort of "different" IS better.

That's like saying an ad-free subscription to Pandora is a better deal than buying a CD, since Pandora gives you thousands of songs to listen to for that subscription. But the catch is that you have to continuously subscribe to listen to those songs on Pandora, and you also have to have internet access. But if I buy a CD, I own it forever and can listen to it whenever I want, without the need for internet access. So which is the better value between subscribing to Pandora or buying a CD? I don't know personally, as I see value in each option. They're just different. The same logic applies to Genii and MAGIC. To view those digital versions of your Genii subscription, you have to maintain that subscription forever (unless you buy those issues separately, for a cost above your subscription fee). To view issues of MAGIC or Genii that you purchased separately, you can open them at anytime on your iPad forever (note that the digital issues of Genii are $6.00/issue, though, compared to $3.99/issue for MAGIC).

That logic makes sense. Question though - can't you just download the PDF for each Genii you want? So how is it $6 an issue? It's FREE when you are a subscriber...so just download whatever you want! Smile

The other thought is to just ante up the 1000 bucks and be a lifetime member. Seems that could be worthwhile if you are young enough. Smile I just renewed for a single year again...and will consider lifetime next year. We'll see...

Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Quote:
Question though - can't you just download the PDF for each Genii you want? So how is it $6 an issue? It's FREE when you are a subscriber...so just download whatever you want!

You know, I think you're right. I was under the impression that I wasn't able to access the media files (video and voice) in Genii without internet access. But now that I play around with it, I see that you can choose that option (down-loading the actual media files) when down-loading a particular issue.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
828 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Good stuff. I think I changed my mind about renewing with Magic this year. I'm going to do it at least one more year...cause I'm going to Magic Live and that would really be goofy to attend and not even be a subscriber to their magazine. Smile

But after that I might just get single issues that interest me. There's valuable stuff in EVERY issue of Magic...but there's just no point in having it since I can't find time to read it compared to all the things Genii provides. Just info overload! No sense in spending more money I guess.

MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
I'm still on the fence about it. I've been getting Magic on and off for a while, and last year was the first year I subscribed. I really liked getting the mags in the mail every month (I'm old enough to appreciate when fun stuff came in the mail). And while the little code word Hunt and Peck thing is slightly annoying, I have been looking at the enhanced content on my new Ipad recently, and I like it a lot, too. For the time being, I'll keep getting Magic as a physical copy and subscribe to Genii and read the digital copy. After a few months, I may well re-evaluate that decision, but for now, it works for me.
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

I can be followed, but never shadowed:
twitter.com/FinnsWake
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Digital £2.49 hard-copy £6 simple choice

I also like having Magic Magazine on my iPad - last year I took it with me to the FCM Convention and read back issues between lectures or whilst travelling.This has now become a habit.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.