The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Back to Basics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Fun to browse he latest and greatest effects as advertised on the countless online magic shops...however,I recently challenged myself to do all of my holiday gigs with the following "old school effects":
Color changing knives (original handling)
Egg bag (Ken Brookes)
Chop cup (Larry Jennings with a slight modification regarding shot glass sequence)
5" linking rings (VERY modified version of Shoot's published Ninja Ring routine)
Color changing silk (Roger Klause)
Cigarette through quarter (Michael Ammar)
Two Card monte (Slum magic instructions)
Svengali Deck routine (combination of several routines both published and/or witnessed at some time or other during the last 30 years)

I havent had this much fun performing magic since the invention of the internet!
Please don't interpret this post as a dis on the new stuff coming out 'cause so much of it is pretty dang awesome...just want to give a huge heck yeah to the stuff that got me going waaaay back in the day.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
At the end of the day you have to enjoy performing the material you do. And it has to be entertaining to your audience.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
I like old school stuff, even the new old school stuff. Smile I am not a fan of the New World Order.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Are you a fan of New Order? I am Smile
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 00:39, motown wrote:
At the end of the day you have to enjoy performing the material you do. And it has to be entertaining to your audience.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
MGCF
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of MGCF
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 00:39, motown wrote:

That really is the best way to be. Why do it if you don't enjoy it. You don't get paid if the audience doesn't enjoy it. I think that is the eternal tension.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Sometimes you just have to reconnect.
Brad Burt
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Sometimes you just have to get hungry again.