The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Obsolete Sound Systems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Sometime back it was announced that certain wireless mics would be obsolete because the government was going to prohibit use on the same bands as used by emergency vehicles. I believe there was a list posted of all of the systems that would no longer work. I am just wondering, did this ever happen?

Thanks and have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Hi Bob,

Yes it did and I believe it was wireless mics that worked in the 700 band frequency range.

More info is here: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-microphone-faqs

Sincerely,
David
sabretooth
View Profile
New user
Santa Cruz, CA
24 Posts

Profile of sabretooth
I spoke with Sennheiser and they said that although the FCC probably won't be parking in your driveway trying to triangulate you. They could, and may, down the road, but who wants to be performing and hear a dispatch for a domestic dispute? It may improve your improv skills!

Get the specs before you hand over the cash. The "rebates" some offer won't ease the pain much.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
For the wireless mics we use, the "700 band" that David mentioned is correct. Specifically, 698 MHz to 806 MHz. Every wireless mic system will have its frequency listed on it, usually in the form of a sticker.

As Sabretooth, has mentioned, the real issue for wireless mic users in the band, is that that chance of your mic being interfered with might become more & more of a danger as time passes, and that frequency band becomes more-populated my more powerful devices. The transmit power of our mics is extremely low compared to TV, radio, walkie-talkies, etc. In every battle with a competing wireless signal, we will lose.
Dan McLean Jr