The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Workshop Tips (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
That clamp idea works for glue bottles as well.
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
When wanting to make a 90 degree cut to a piece of wood, I get a block that has a 90 degree angle and put it against the fence. Then I clamp or grip the piece tightly against the wood block as I run it through the saw blade. I get a perfectly clean cut.

If I need to trim the wood to a specific dimension, I adjust the fence to the approximate spot, then use cardboard shims to trim it successively until it's the correct size.

I like this better than using a miter gauge, since this gets out of whack and also because the piece can slide during its run through the saw. You do have to be careful with your hands using my method.

Click here to view attached image.
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Great tip, thanks Inlver
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Cutting a piece of wood that size (ratio) on a table saw with that method is asking for trouble! No matter how many times you've done it and never had a problem. If it shifts at all, it will bind between the fence and the blade and then fly back at you. Sometimes with serious consequences.
As a professional woodworker I would NEVER recommend that method.
If the piece was 3x as long as the width you're cutting it would be ok.
One good thing about the photo is your saw blade is only slightly higher than the piece of wood which makes cutting a finger off less likely.
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
You can spend thousands of dollars getting into specialty silicones and injection molding... but if you want an ULTRA CHEAP way to experiment with rubber props, nothing beats proto putty. It's just silicone 1, corn starch, and a few drops of food coloring. https://youtu.be/7fwytA5r2Mw
The guy in the vid only hand shapes it or uses it in a mold... but you can also use it to create a mold. You're not going to get intricate designs to come out, but if you want a rubber hammer for ten bucks, this would be perfect.

I've had so much fun using this stuff guilt free with no "waste anxiety" over expense.

Edit: I forgot the best part! It's instant gratification. The stuff hardens straight away.
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of drmagic
WOW. Super cool. Thanks for sharing. What have you made with proto putty?
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2021, drmagic wrote:
WOW. Super cool. Thanks for sharing. What have you made with proto putty?

You're welcome! It's so much fun! And I've made all sorts of stuff with it... the easiest thing I made is also my favorite. I'm a TERRIBLE magician, I belong behind a work bench... but even I get great reactions with this. I made the tongue out of proto putty and I needle felted the tail. https://youtu.be/lKsg_UostNY This gag is actually really good... I need to get a better performance on vid to do it justice 😂
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
jccooper
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of jccooper
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2011, AGMagic wrote:
You now have a straight edge on the hardboard that can be set to the exact measurement on any piece of sheet goods that you want to cut. You don't have to account for the distance between the side of the shoe and where the blade will cut. This will also help with clamping as the clamps can be on the other side of the straight edge so the saw won't hit them.

This is a great way to make a budget track saw. Just remember your saw kerf, and that the bit under the track is the part being saved. I've cut pieces a kerf-width too short too many times. Now I always put a little X on the scrap side of my measured marks so I know which side is scrap and make sure the blade is on that side. If you don't see the X, don't cut.