The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Believe it or not... :: Xmas grotto's, a grindshow in disguise? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
So, this winter season I've been keeping myself busy by running an Xmas grotto during the day at a garden centre with normal gigs on evenings.

Anyway. Whilst sat in the big red suit today I came to realise that a Santa's grotto is nothing more than a themed grindshow. So I started wondering what other things are grindshows or sideshows in disguise that the general public are used to going to see already.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Zagam
View Profile
New user
Silver Spring, Maryland
64 Posts

Profile of Zagam
(I'm new here, but I'm going to jump right in) Interesting topic. My first thought is the same goes for the Easter Bunny, and all other holiday type attractions. Would theme or amusement park work fall into this as well? I'm thinking the shows put on for kids. Or are those all animatronic now?
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
There are a lot of grindshow tatics involved with promoting the TV News programs.
BOY KILLS PET DOG,,,more at 6.
BOY KILLS PET DOG...coming up soon.
BOY KILLS PET DOG...coming right after this message...
BOY KILLS PET DOG...NEXT but first...
Finally
BOY KILLS PET DOG and the whole story last 12 seconds.
Kinda like looking at a pickled punk
12 seconds and IT's OVER
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
HoHoHo Ros is Daddy Christmas (You aint gonna live this down any time soon !!) Still that's how Michael Jackson got started !!!
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Having children sit on his lap was only a hobby for Michael Jackson. But it did cost him a lot of money.

Quote:
On 2011-11-30 05:34, Kondini wrote:
HoHoHo Ros is Daddy Christmas (You aint gonna live this down any time soon !!) Still that's how Michael Jackson got started !!!
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 09:42, Roslyn wrote:
what other things are grindshows or sideshows in disguise that the general public are used to going to see already.

Open casket funerals.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
How about the racist Santa's helper popularized in Amsterdam? I spent a few weeks there (right around this time of year), so to those not-in-the-know, in Holland Santa is Sinterklaas and has an African slave helper named Svarte Piet. For hundreds of years kids put black makeup on their faces to be like Santas helper. Nowadays the Dutch will say that Svarte Piet got his black face from coming down so many chimneys. How's THAT for PC? I could go on........

Todd, the MJ joke had me on the floor.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Often been window shopping in Amsterdam and I don't meen double glazed either !
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Double glazed? The windows, or your eyes? I hope you wiped the drool off your chin!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
From memory it wasn`t just the chin that required a wipe !!!
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Ewwww!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-11-30 08:01, Todd Robbins wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 09:42, Roslyn wrote:
what other things are grindshows or sideshows in disguise that the general public are used to going to see already.

Open casket funerals.

We've got pics of Elvis' open casket but people still see him walking around. Like Je... uh... Osiris?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I did an Xmas gig for the Surrey Dutch Community just a few weeks ago and they still tell their Xmas story complete with the Black Peters. Is that any different from the Santa Claus story of him having elves? Short white slaves are still slaves.

Ken, I thought you'd find this amusing. Easy money though. Beats being out on the street this time of year Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
jay kirwan
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
107 Posts

Profile of jay kirwan
Always reckoned that the perfume sales set ups in

major stores utilised a lot of the grind show elements.

White coated floor walkers with the sample "c'mon",

the display layout and the overpriced sale to finish!!