The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring magic and manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
SMOKES!
Life of Magic!
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Thanks for making the video available for mobile. Absolutely beautiful manipulation. Truly magical.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
And terribly sorry I did not notice my phone's spellchecker altered your name in my original post.
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
Thanks a lot Motley Mage, and no worries about the misspell Smile
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
WOW! Beautiful, graceful & VERY magical ryoma.

You should make & sell a DVD.
Would be similar to Gregory Wilson`s DVD; Ringleader. Customers could pick out certain moves
for their own routine.

Great skillful magic & as the Godfather says; "the best I`ve seen."

Thanks for posting, I always like to see well done & mystifing magic.

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Loved your video.

Didn't much like the out of frame moments and I'm curious as to how you frame an actual performance for people but VERY impressive work.

Did you study Thimble work?

-Mary Mowder
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
Thank you very much Smile

@Mary : sorry about the out of frame moments, it was meant to "mimick" what a spectator sees (not that you have to go out of frame in a live performance, but the human eye is not very good at perceiving small movements hidden in bigger ones, while a video camera will make the whole frame look like a "small movement" anyway (almost no eye tilting is required to look from the left to the right side of a framed youtube video ^^)).

About framing actual performance, as John foresaw it (and ringleader was an inspiration for me Smile ), I usually pick small subsets of moves to construct little routines (it's more flourish-like, going with a walkaround type of performance). I don't believe I could create a whole act based solely on ring manipulation without finding it boring :/ (not saying it cannot be done, I think it has more to do with my lack of experience in magic in fact)

You can easily find several sets of 5 or 6 sleights that build up nicely, though, and that usually goes well in between small sets of card tricks or other stuff... if you need you can also "theme" the different small sets.

For example you can start with "ring jump instantly on the finger" (basically an enhanced de'ring, or even de'ring would work), then you do other stuff,
then you go back to the rings with a small set of "ring goes through the fingers" effects... then you can do other stuff...
if you want to go back to the rings, then you can use a spellbound like color change themed routine, or ring switch/ finger switch routine etc...

(In such case of course, it's better to order the themes so that they also are building up ^^)

In fact I love combinatorics, and I tend to see these ring sleights as generating sets (take a few and you can explore a trick space by using combinations... take some others and you have a different trick space at reach... add some and the trick space can expand.. etc).
In this context, the video is a display of the vectors and a few of their combinations...

Oh and no, never studied thimble work Smile Saw some vids though and it does look like it can be close to ring work Smile