The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Looking for numbers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hello my creative magic-making friends,

I'd like to pick your brains.

I am wanting to make something that involves having numbers on it. What I am hoping to find is something a bit creative, to use as inlays. One thought was antique typewriter keys. The problem is, I would need several of each number, so using the real thing is pretty much out of the question. They would all need to match in style.

This was just one idea, but I am still open-minded about the actual appearance.

These must be somewhat small, maybe 1/2" or so in diameter for the proposed project. If they were round, it would make using them as inlays at lot easier, as a round hole of proper size could easily be drilled.

Any ideas??

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7677 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you could find an old printer who still had a ludlow (sp) machine, he could cast in lead whatever you need. They have a lot of fonts and sizes.
It was an old typesetter machine that was used to set type fresh for every printing. It made type similar to a linatype machine.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2790 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Old Printing press numbers
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
All good ideas. Thanks everyone.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I tried several of the reproduction typewriter keys. These ware all made for jewlery. The quality was so poor that to use them in a finished product was out of the question. All they were was a flat black button with a sticker on them. Most of the stickers were crooked or bubbled.

If anybody has a source for typewriter keys that are made just like the old ones, I am looking too.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I think the steampunk guys are buying them all up! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
What about using a typewriter font (there are some free ones that look like keys)? Setting the design and then have them made into a metal plate (check with your local bindery for this, they are normally used for die-stamping foil onto book covers). You could then heat this and use it as a "brand" to burn the design into the wood...

Just a thought...

ajp
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, Andrew! I have discussed with someone else about the possibilities of using stamping dies to burn the numbers into small wooden discs and then inlaying those. All would depend on if I can take what would have a rustic appearance and being able to transform that into something that exudes character, rather than crudeness.

I have also been looking at disc-shaped number beads, which could be used as inlays. These seem to be the best option at this point for simplicity, price, and appearance.

Of course, it would be super to use actual typewriter keys, or probably more fitting, old adding machine or cash register keys. But I think doing so would make a product out of reasonable cost.

In my mind's eye, I can see discs made of yellowed ivory or bone, with black numbers. These would be surrounded in a brass ring, and the entire thing inlayed into a piece of vintage polished Red Mahogany.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7677 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
What about numbered animal tags? Cattle numbers used to be made in brass.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-11-20 21:28, hugmagic wrote:
What about numbered animal tags? Cattle numbers used to be made in brass.

Richard

I think they would be too large. I'm looking for something closer to about 1/2" diameter.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Two words: Scrabble!

Wait......
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Charles
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Charles
If you do a little research on laser cutting/etching you will find that any design can be duplicated.
Check your local trophy shop. Most shops today have the high tech equipment. Check out http://www.urbanspectacles.com.
They make sunglasses in wood...ok..now I have all your eyes turning.

Charlie
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Michael, Antique cash register keys are the size and shape you need and have only numbers on them. Key caps are available on line from cashregister restorers.

Carol and I made our own several years ago. Diazo had a plastic film that worked in a blueprint machine and created great looking lables and key caps in various colors.

Aluminum photolables are also an option but generally much more expensive since you would have to send it out for processing. If you plan on making lots of them, perhaps silkscreening on plastic would be an option. Circles can then be cut out of the sheet with an arbor punch.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks again, everyone.

I have received a lot of great ideas here, and through PMs and emails. At this point, it amounts to finding a balance between, "How much is this going to cost?", and "Is the effect worth the effort?"

Some options are good, but because of the number of digits required to even make one of these, it could easily become a project that would have to retail for a lot more than I think most people would be willing to spend. It's kind of like that old phrase, "You can't get there from here."

I wanted this to do a project for a friend, and considered making a small run, provided it was cost effective, practical, and all that other good stuff that makes my job both fun and hopefully profitable. There are several options available now, so I'll do a little calculating to see which, if any I'll pursue.

Thanks, as always to you fine folks!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company