The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: The Losing Contro by Lee Asher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I'm suprised no one has posted on this superb and easy to master card control. One of the most deceptive things I've ever seen or done. Lee deserves our collective thanks for sharing this.

And to top it off, Millard Longman makes his movie debut as terrorist #1. Watch out Hollywood.

Rated PG 13 for graphic violence!
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1370 Posts

Profile of bekralik
It's around:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2

Somebody else mentioned it, too, but I think although he's creative enough to do these off-the-wall videos, I think he's a bit too over-the-top and shouldn't keep trying to outdo himself by making even zanier and more pointless drivel to give it entertainment value. It should have a point.

Brian
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Bekralik,
What the **** are you talking about?
family/magic/music/life
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think bekralik means instead of entertaining with magic, Lee does these weird secret agent style videos that takes away from the magic. NO one watches the boring plots, so he should skip them. He's not a Hollywood producer.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks for directing me to the thread. As a mentalist, I don't read the card forum but should have thought to look there. I do believe it belongs on this thread as well, since it is devoted to new video.

I love the broad continuum of opinions on the card thread!. All I know is I've done it for four people, all were totally fooled and two (after several views) grabbed the deck because they thought I was playing with their heads by using a one way force deck. That should be food for thought. From what I hear, this is a common reaction among magicians seeing it live.
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
I don't think anything can top his stuff a crispy cream in his mouth on the hit the road DVD! That was the nastiest thing I've ever seen!lol. That is going to be really hard to top.

Cardjinx Smile
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Well, maybe Lee should just stop being so generous with his incredibly brilliant work, all together. Maybe he should only tip it to the people who really appreciate it, and don't bash him at every turn.
[quote]On 2003-09-07 21:10, MagicChris wrote:
NO one watches the boring plots, so he should skip them. He's not a Hollywood producer.
Chris

I love these off the wall things that Lee does, so that pretty much tosses your theory out the window, Chris.

Anyone who knows Lee, knows that these fun little things that he does, are right in line with his personality. He is a fun loving and creative guy, who likes to be a little different.

Just be grateful that you have the oppurtunity to glimpse one of the most creative minds in magic, and indulge him in his little diversions. Your magic will be better for it.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Man,

The only reason I buy Lee's stuff is for the mini movies he puts in them...that stuff is great. That makes the videos worth watching in my opinion. Lee's material is great, but It's even better because he makes the magic videos fun to watch.
benrl
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of benrl
Eric,
I see life as a lark and have a son in the film biz. So I love folks having a good time and being creative. But not at my expense. Indeed, Lee's move is great and I will use it.However spending $25 so Lee can practice his sophmoric filmmaking frolics on folks simply interested in learning the move is:
A) somebody's idea of good value
B) a great method of instruction
C) a fabulous piece of entertainment
D) a not very adult way of making a buck
I'll leave it to others to evaluate with their $25.

benrl
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Benrl,
Nobody forced you to spend the money. If the information wasn't valuable to you, you shouldn't have purchased it.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
I have to agree with Eric on this one. His videos are very entertaining. It gets away from the all to boring performance and explanation sections that 90% of every tape has. Which nothing is wrong with that but Lee brings a breath of fresh air to magic tapes if you know what I mean.
benrl
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of benrl
First let me repeat that I think the move is a valuable contribution. I will use it. To pay a premium for a poorly crafted and totally adolescent romp made no sense.

Eric- Not only did I know the essentials of the move prior to purchasing it but I was (am) anxious to perform it well. What I received was a short experimental film with some instruction inserted in the middle.

I'm curious to know if Eric or Jason purchased and viewed the CD-rom.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
benrl,

I have just about every item that Lee has ever been associated with, and I have yet to be disappointed. Given his style of writing, and teaching, I also know what to expect from Lee. I don't know why you would be surprised, unless this is your first Lee Asher item.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
benrl
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of benrl
Eric,
This is my first first purchase of an Asher offering (not including a white rollerball pen he marketed).

If this is typical of Lee's efforts, I cannot see myself buying anything else of his.

FIN
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Then you will be missing out on some FANTASTIC magic, but I am guessing by your attitude you are already missing out on good magic.

If you like the move, what difference does it make if you learnt it in the course of the movie or in a boring "explanation section" of a tape?

Lee gives you the real work, he doesn't do much hand-holding. Those that can use and benifit from his work, will do so, and the rest that need handholding won't.

I am very satisfied with every asher piece I have bought, I have learnt a lot and gotten some read material, and enjoyed the movies.

-MacGyver
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
What is it that's worth 25 bucks?
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I love Lee Asher's magic. It is really, really great. What makes learning the sleights all the more entertaining are the movies that he wraps around them. They are really funny! And, like Eugene Burger called Five Card Stud:
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
I personally dislike the cheese associated with Lee. I do enjoy some of his creations, but sometimes it hard to take his stuff seriously when it's filled with things that make him look less than professional, and sometimes just gross. I love content, and no filler. Hopefully Lee will hear us and his future projects will be more productive. Nothing worse than taking a good move, and adding bad patter and presentation.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I can certainly understand that some do not like his style of video. I am not one of those, obviously, but to each his own. Lee does not, however perform his effects with bad patter and presentation. Where does that come from?
I would imagine that if any of you ever get to see Lee in person, your entire tone would change.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
benrl
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of benrl
Macgyver,
It's clear from this thread that some folks like Lee's efforts and some don't. You seem to overlook that in 2 posts I make a point of indicating my satisfaction with the move but not the mode.

We're now getting into differences in taste and expectations. Not a real productive discussion.

Let it lay.