The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: My first gig... sorta (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
My brother (assistant/lackey) and I tried out for the talent show in the fourth grade. I found in a book the tip-over box illusion. (It's amazing what you can find in the school library) I decided to try this with a cardboard box (I hope I don't give too much away here). We rehearsed it dozens of times without fail. I was going to use this as my entrance. He'd push the box out on stage acting like it's really heavy (it was, I was inside). Tip it over show nothing inside, confuse/ amuse everyone, tip it up and I'd pop out with all my supplies. In rehearsal it was flawless. However, the problem with a cardboard box is that it ain't very stable. we go out on stage at the audition. He pushes me out in the box. He tips it over (laughter)
my brother proclaims, "it's amazing, it's incredible It's..." Here, unknownst to me, he wasn't holding our flimsy homemade illusion up. The box collapses, leaving me and my stupid little panel (as well as the secret) totally exposed... "not the way we rehearsed it!!!" (roaring laughter)

Needless to say, we didn't make the show but they did elect us the MC's

Story's not over... We try again the next year. Different crowd ya know? Same illusion, same mistake,
Same MC's

I'm building it out of wood next time... Smile
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Tropical Penquin,

Sigh you learn from your mistakes. Too bad it didn't go as you practised and there is a lesson to be learned from it. Good luck next year. Smile
Zeiros
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Zeiros
Thanks for sharing this story, next time I screw up beyond all belief I'll at least be able to console myself that somebody else has done it... twice Smile

Thanks Again, and let's hope that the next box can hold together for five minutes longer!