The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: My latest project: From the Depths of Aegypt... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Being a DIY (read: CHEAP) kind of guy, I've spent the past week or so knocking together the props for one of my acts.

Went with an Egyptian theme for the prototypes. These turned out so well I'll probably reproduce them in better (read: expensive) materials.

Everything fits neatly into the trunk, and I'm rather proud of the whole shebang.

Enjoy!

"All you need is in Fitzkee."
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
Beautiful!
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
VERY nice!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Nice!!!! With the little figurines you could come up with a vanishing and/or appearing Anubis routine.
Mister Mystery
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I love the consistent style for your props.

How did you make the handles?
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Thanks, guys! Coming from you all, it means alot. I've lurked here for a while and you guys do some beautiful stuff.

@billappleton: The handles are made (like the rest of the chest) from very heavy duty cardboard. Here's a template:

The triangle bits are glued to the corresponding edge(s) after folding. The bottom piece is purely for reinforcement and is folded around the bottom and sides of the main piece. If you look at the pics and fiddle with it, you'll see how it's done. I do a lot of paper modeling, so this was an easy build.

@Regan: You're on the right track... it's actually a three part act: Square Circle to Tube to small Mirror box. Without cluing too much, it's based off of reassembling the 4 parts of a soul, which join to finally appear under my command.

I'll leave you guys to puzzle out the rest. *wink*
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Stringing several effects in a story theme is always impressive, and helps the mind flow into each presentation.

Your attention to detail in decoration is outstanding.

Mulee
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
I see a square circle, maybe a silk blow? What are the other two?
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Beautiful.

What does it do?
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I won't tip everything (hey, it's my routine!) but the equipment is, from left to right:

Square Circle
Vanishing Tube (minus the objects that go inside it. Hint: 4,3,2,1 remains.)
Mirror Box
Pyramid is simply a highly decorative box for the vanishing tube objects.

The prestige comes out of the mirror box and is my little secret. ;P
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5181 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Stunning work Ekuth.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-10-25 08:04, Michael Baker wrote:
VERY nice!!

I second that!

I have done close-up work in the past using various Egyptian-themed props and stories and I have to say that it works very well. I can see your decorative pyramid box becoming something other than just a storage box...

Nicely done!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Quote:
On 2011-10-26 09:16, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
Quote:
VERY nice!!

I second that!

I have done close-up work in the past using various Egyptian-themed props and stories and I have to say that it works very well. I can see your decorative pyramid box becoming something other than just a storage box...

Nicely done!

Thanks, Dr. J! I'm looking forward to presenting it. The ending should be a real kick in the pants for the audience. You've got me curious about other uses for the pyramid, though. Care to tip me some ideas via PM?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you are looking for other effects to blend into an Egyptian Theme, you might check out "Your Papers Please!" on my site: http://www.magicnook.com/CraftyMagic/BZ01-08PapersPlease.htm

Strictly for the Do-It-Yourself kind of magician.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Nice, Spellbinder! I've poked around your site quite a bit and was actually thinking of trying to work the Scarab Ouija (can't remember the proper name at the moment) into the bit.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1954 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Nice....!!!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I'm really impressed Ekuth! You've got something there man. Your work reminds me of when Chance Wolf decided to give all of the standards a more modern look by creating his own versions of the classics.

He's a good friend and a very helpful man! He is currently taking some time off to enjoy all of the money he made during his run and is no longer cranking out his creations until further notice.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&......Y75SW86A

Please keep me posted guy, I'm going to look for you when I return to Phoenix bud.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-10-26 11:00, Ekuth wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-26 09:16, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
Quote:
VERY nice!!

I second that!

Nicely done!

Thanks, Dr. J! I'm looking forward to presenting it. The ending should be a real kick in the pants for the audience. You've got me curious about other uses for the pyramid, though. Care to tip me some ideas via PM?

Sorry for the late reply - I just saw this post because I have not been on this forum regularly for a while because I have been so busy with gigs lately. I would be more than happy to share some ideas and brainstorm via PM. I will send one your way tomorrow!