The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: The worst convention I went in Australia Adelaide Magic Convention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicBird
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of MagicBird
Well, first the all, 3 day of short convention is very very disappointed. I pay over $1000 US dollars for (Hotel+conventions).As the convention said is base on the IBM Magic club, I think that should be great magic convention in Australia.
Only 3 guess in 3 days, the lecture everyday is same, I mean same focus topic and same magic, it very boring, I felt sleep.
the funny things is that there are competition stage and close up,the prize for close up and stage, no 2nd or 3rd. Some Asian competitor really good, however only 1 prize for champion, it is not professional magic convention compare other IBM Convention.
http://www.bombsheltermagic.com/
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2320 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Hi Magic Bird. I would like to point out that while you are certainly entitled to your own dim view, that this post's sentiment IS NO WHERE NEAR the overall feeling at the convention. Of course you may find any lecture boring as that depends on your taste, but the same???? Mine was on mentalism, Matt Johnson's was on children's and close up magic, and Wayne Roger's material is nothing like either Matt's or my own. Did you not know who was going to be lecturing? Anyway, congratulations on your first Café post. I am sorry to see it is such a negative one. Best of magical luck to you.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
gstas
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of gstas
As the chairman of the 2011 convention, I must say I am dissapointed that the "some asian competitor really good" sore loser who didn't win any competition would go to the trouble of registering at the Café and put this up as his first post.
Firstly, we are only a small convention and do things on a smaller scale.
Secondly, the full program is on the convention website. Thirdly, the material covered by each lecturer is described on the website.
With regards to 2nd and 3rd place, we have never done this as we sometimes only get 3 competitors in competitions and some are NOT worthy of a second or third place by default. Previous winners are listed on the website and you can see clearly that there is only ONE winner in each category.
As far as the lecture material covered, there was meterial from kids magic, close up standup/parlour, stage, mentalism and more. (Sorry no card manipulation lecture!)
The material was very well recieved even by magicians that have been around for MANY years.
I have had nothing but positive feedback even from seasoned performers.
The competition winners won by a BIG margin and deserved to do so.
So BigBird, if you felt that you were bored by 6 lectures covering basically all aspects of magic, then I would suggest you take up knitting or chess, or stamp collecting.
Too many times at competitions we have seen clones of well known card manipulators.
These acts don't win competitions, especially with no originality, sloppy presentation and card flashing.
It is at these gatherings that you can gain knowledge of magic and speak with those in the know.
My friend your magic journey has obviously just begun and you have a long road ahead of you and with an attitude like that you wont succeed. All the best with your magically journey.

George Stas
Chairman
2011 Adelaide Magic Convention.
Geoffrence
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Geoffrence
I must have gone to a different Adelaide Magic Convention because I had a great time, and learned heaps!!
Geoffrence
In one success, a thousand failures lie forgotten.
In one refusal to try, a thousand successes prematurely die.
Marvelous_Mysto
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide, Australia
143 Posts

Profile of Marvelous_Mysto
Hi MagicBird,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed in the Adelaide Magic Convention. I had a wonderful time. As Christopher pointed out, there were three (3) lectureres each covering quite different topics. I had a ball! and I learnt a lot from each of the lecturers.
As this was your first convention, perhaps I could share my experience of three (3) conventions in Australia, that I have attended, this year. Firstly, travel, & accomodation are expensive. Each time, I spent in excess of $1000.00 to attend the conventions. Each time, there were either 2 or 3 lecturers, and each time, I learnt a lot from them.
From personal experience at Australian conventions, and observing overseas conventions (from a distance), I would suggest that you will get much more personal interaction with the lecturers at small conventions. At large conventions it is possible to get lost in the crowd and miss a lot of the action. At the Adelaide convention, each lecturer made himself available to the attendees, all weekend.
You will not find that at large conventions.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed, but I recognise that people bring different expectations to any experience. I had a wonderful time, and learnt a lot from the lecturers. I also enjoyed the opportunity to re-connect with other magicians from different cities that I see too infrequently.

Kind Regards
Barry
davidyeung1991
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of davidyeung1991
Hi magic bird,
I am one of the competitor David who are doing manipulation, when I saw this post is very disappointed, and just want make this post to noticed other don't make any misunderstanding. As the champion, I very admire him which is joel, his presentation is very good and new idea for make the ball disappear. Although the awards is not me, however, Matt and Chris gave me some comment and suggestions, they really nice, I earn some new experience for them and met joel and some Australia magician. As, I have exam during in convention, I can not take all the lecture, ps. sorry Chris I love your products.
Finally for this post, I just want to say the Jude is fair, and thank you like my act. And I hope you can read my poor English.

Thanks

David
gstas
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of gstas
I think the above posts clearly disagree with Bigbirds negative post and probably enough said about this matter.

George
Roy J Hopwood
View Profile
New user
Richmond BC Canada
26 Posts

Profile of Roy J Hopwood
Having attended every Adelaide Magic Convention since they started in 1977 (Guessing that was before you were born Bigbird)I feel I am qualified to make some comments. but first a couple of Facts:

1 Adelaide has always been a small convention
2 Adelaide has always been a friendly convention
3 Adelaide has always provided all meals (most other conventions do NOT)
4 Adelaide has always gone for quality and not just quantity

Bigbird I could give you many more facts, pm me if if like.

Know a few comments:

1 I really enjoyed myself at this convention catching up with old friends and making new ones.
2 I thought the quality of the lecturers was very good and provided a wide coverage of different magic styles and types.
3 I realise that not all segments at a convention suit all people, but surely Bigbird there MUST have been something you enjoyed or someone you met you got on with ... Maybe Shahin??
4 I feel it is not very courteous of you to criticise without also giving positive comment.
5 I also feel that if you are going to criticise on this open forum (and that is your right) at least Identify yourself and not just use a 'nick'

6 To George, John, Geoff, Steve don't let Bigbird discourage you ... I am guessing that he or she has not been to many conventions and has NEVER been on the organising committee of one.

The many people I spoke with at the convention thought is was good ... even my wife enjoyed herself ... and if you know my wife you'd know that she is one to speak her mind and tell it like she sees it ( Granted Bigbird you are doing the same on this forum , and as I said before, that is your right).

If you were disappointed with the convention why didn't you raise your concerns with one of the committee members - they had the word "COMMITTEE" on there name tags.

Bigbird please feel free to reply and maybe disagree with me, but do me the favour of telling me who you are so I can put a face to the name.

My name is Roy J Hopwood of Hobart in Tasmania - check me out on FB http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roy-J-Hopw......30097591
Take Care

Roy J Hopwood
Magical Entertainer

"He who stops being better stops being good."

Oliver Cromwell
Roy J Hopwood
View Profile
New user
Richmond BC Canada
26 Posts

Profile of Roy J Hopwood
My apologies to Magicbird for referring to you as Bigbird .... my error as I know someone else who's "nick" is bigbird.
Take Care

Roy J Hopwood
Magical Entertainer

"He who stops being better stops being good."

Oliver Cromwell
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
Wow talk about expectations not met!
I had a fantastic time.
Just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time!
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
I've been doing magic for a while now but only just started publicly performing and going to conventions etc. Does anyone know if there is a NSW convention coming up?
gstas
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of gstas
Nothing coming up in NSW. Adelaide one possibly 2-3 years away at the moment.