The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Here's the new "civility" for you (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think there is a difference for advocating that America's enemies, who daily conduct violent acts of war against us, be killed, and suggesting that bankers -for the mere fact that they have more money than she has- be sent to re-education camps or beheaded. Advocating beheading Muslims just for being Muslims would also be something other than what Ann Coulter appears to have said. Sorry that you can't see it.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Wasn't Roseanne talking specifically about the bankers who took the bail-outs and then used that money to give themselves bonuses? That was the impression that I got. If that's the case then the issue isn't simply that they have more money than us, but that they have our money. I may have interpreted wrong though.

I must not understand what your original intent was. I thought you were saying "look how these people are using violent rhetoric," so I said "look how everybody uses violent rhetoric." She did simply say "muslims" when discussing it, but as I said, that isn't the point.
I can use this Glenn Beck quote if it suits you better:
"I’m thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I’m wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out — is this wrong?"
http://www.blippitt.com/glenn-beck-threa......e-video/

I think either one makes the point just as well.

I don't think there's really anything else to say. I'm not doing a left vs right thing here. I'm not defending Roseanne. I'm just sayin'.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 22:32, Woland wrote:

I think there is a difference for advocating that America's enemies, who daily conduct violent acts of war against us, be killed, and suggesting that bankers -for the mere fact that they have more money than she has- be sent to re-education camps or beheaded. Advocating beheading Muslims just for being Muslims would also be something other than what Ann Coulter appears to have said. Sorry that you can't see it.

Speaking of not seeing something, perhaps you missed my earlier post in which I remarked that Ann Coulter HAS publicly supported the "Council of Conservative Citizens", described by many as a thinly veiled white supremacist organization, a group that cheered on its website the beheading of Daniel Pearl. Along with a number of hate crimes.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
OK, one more thing: I know that blippit site isn't the best source, but I saw it on other sites too and they have the audio clip.
However, if this still doesn't make my point that there are people on both sides using the same kinds of imagery then that's fine.
I'm not out to convert anybody.

"I bet after seeing us, George Washington would sue us for calling him 'father.'"
-Will Rogers
~Will Rogers
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Not that I want to defend Glenn Beck but I've listened to the clip. He's obviously joking and being sarcastic. Now whether you think jokes like that can actually be humourous may be another thing.

If you want to see a nice collection of real civility, take a visit to this link.

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/01/10/the......00-2010/
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 15:03, gdw wrote:
Is this part of her support of "occupy wall street?"

That whole movement may bring about great change, or terrible change.

Or, more likely, no change at all.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Url=http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/archives/ad2kulak.html]It's an old script:[/url]

Quote:
11-8-18

Send to Penza
To Comrades Kuraev,
Bosh, Minkin and
other Penza
communists

Comrades! The revolt by the five kulak volost's must be suppressed
without mercy. The interest of the entire revolution demands this,
because we have now before us our final decisive battle "with the
kulaks." We need to set an example.

1) You need to hang (hang without fail, so that the public
sees) at least 100 notorious kulaks, the rich, and the
bloodsuckers.
2) Publish their names.
3) Take away all of their grain.
4) Execute the hostages - in accordance with yesterday's
telegram.

This needs to be accomplished in such a way, that people for
hundreds of miles around will see, tremble, know and scream out:
let's choke and strangle those blood-sucking kulaks.

Telegraph us acknowledging receipt and execution of this.

Yours, Lenin

The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 15:51, rockwall wrote:
I wouldn't assume that because Roseanne Barr thinks she is a comedianne, that she is trying to be funny here. She is seriously wacked. If you ever read her regular blog, you will find things that will make your eyes bleed. When she says someone should be be-headed, my first inclination is to think she means it way before I consider that she might be trying to be satirical.

Quote:
On 2011-10-03 23:45, rockwall wrote:
Not that I want to defend Glenn Beck but I've listened to the clip. He's obviously joking and being sarcastic. Now whether you think jokes like that can actually be humourous may be another thing.

If you want to see a nice collection of real civility, take a visit to this link.

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/01/10/the......00-2010/

So... if Roseanne Barr, who's at least known for being a comedian, makes a comment about bringing out the guillotine for unnamed bankers, we shouldn't assume she is joking... but if Glenn Beck, who's only known for political punditry, makes a comment that names Michael Moore specifically and talks about a fantasy of choking the life out of him, he's "obviously joking and being sarcastic"?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 11:09, Andrew Musgrave wrote:

So... if Roseanne Barr, who's at least known for being a comedian, makes a comment about bringing out the guillotine for unnamed bankers, we shouldn't assume she is joking... but if Glenn Beck, who's only known for political punditry, makes a comment that names Michael Moore specifically and talks about a fantasy of choking the life out of him, he's "obviously joking and being sarcastic"?

Now you've got it!
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
[quote]On 2011-10-04 11:09, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't assume that because Roseanne Barr thinks she is a comedianne, that she is trying to be funny here. She is seriously wacked. If you ever read her regular blog, you will find things that will make your eyes bleed. When she says someone should be be-headed, my first inclination is to think she means it way before I consider that she might be trying to be satirical.

[quote]
The bankers/Moore thing is a poor analogy, because would be revenge, and the other would be a public service.

For those who can't tell, I'm not advocating anything...it's just a bad joke!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 11:38, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 11:09, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
Quote:

The bankers/Moore thing is a poor analogy, because would be revenge, and the other would be a public service.

For those who can't tell, I'm not advocating anything...it's just a bad joke!

"If you have to explain satire to someone, you might as well give up."--Barry Humphries (Dame Edna Everidge)
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Coulter says things to sell books. This should not really be in dispute. Rush and Hannity say things to get viewers, listeners. This also should not be in dispute. Rosanne is just trying to stay relevant.

Perhaps, and this is just me, we should be a bit more concerned with those who actually have a say in policy? Keep getting bogged down in what you hate about others and nothing ever gets fixed.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Alas, we can't always choose our audiences.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 12:03, Dannydoyle wrote:
Coulter says things to sell books. This should not really be in dispute. Rush and Hannity say things to get viewers, listeners. This also should not be in dispute. Rosanne is just trying to stay relevant.

Perhaps, and this is just me, we should be a bit more concerned with those who actually have a say in policy? Keep getting bogged down in what you hate about others and nothing ever gets fixed.

:thumbsup:
~Will Rogers
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I don't know about guillotines but there is no question that many bankers should go to jail. During the S&L crises 1,500 bankers went to jail. During the current financial crises that makes that look like a blip on the radar, no one has gone to jail. This country has been taken over by corporations and big business to an alarming degree to the point where there is no real democracy anymore because there are no real choices anymore. No wonder people are mad.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 21:53, Kevin Connolly wrote:
But Drone strikes on Americans are OK? Smile

Glad you agree.

reference to this?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 12:03, Dannydoyle wrote:

But hannity still has yet to be waterboarded "for charity"..
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill