The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Planning to move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
I guess this forum is as good as any to post this topic!

As some of you may know, I am moving to Northern California. Today as I was packing up my room I ran into a dilema! I didn't want to pack my magic books with anything else! I don't want to ruin them! Well, after thinking about this for 45 minutes or so (and packign up other things) I had a solution. I have this metal file cabinet (a small portable one my grandmother had sitting around her house). I use this to hold all my decks and any of my random magic props. Most of the time I just throw stuff in there and go through it every once and again. I figured it would be perfect to transport my books (videos were safely packed away). So I emptied out my case, reorganized it and pack the books and all the props neatly around it. Because it is metal I am not worried about the books getting smashed and everything.

I was wondering for those of you that have moved (and get as paranoid as I do) what did you do with your books? Just put them in a plain ol' box?

Chris
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Bubble wrap and a bit of careful packing should keep your books in pristine condition. Take it from someone that moves VERY often.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
With over 1500 books I found that small cardboard boxes are best, like 12x12x12—any bigger and you can hardly lift 'em.

Banker boxes from stationery stores look good but are too big.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Also, the covers will rub against each other in transport and this can cause damage to some nice bindings and pictorial cloth covers. Wrapping each individually in tissue paper is a help.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
When I moved I put mine in cardboard boxes. I never had any trouble with any one of them.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I think it depends on who is going to be shoving the boxes around. If it's a commercial mover, they will probably insist on packing them and then their insurance would cover any damage. They are very careful about packing when they do it.

If it is just you shoving the stuff around, then you know to take care when moving the boxes.

Lots of good tips above. I have moved many books myself and they always came out OK.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Okay, this is not exactly an answer but a weird and true story about moving your stuff. I had carefully packed everything and needed a special box containing a new item handled very carefully so I wrote on it "please don't take" so the moving helpers would know that I was the only one to deal with that box.

Meanwhile, just before the move we get robbed! Yikes! However, the box marked "please don't take" was left in an otherwise rummaged area. I guess that's just like the direct approach to protecting your things, huh.
Keep Your head up, your heart open and your magic alive.