The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Thrilled: Recent DVD purchases. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
I got home from a recent trip to find that a few DVD's I had ordered before going away had arrived.

They were:

Gods with feet of clay: Volumes 2 & 3 by John Riggs.
Essential Sleights for mentalists: Also by John Riggs.
Devils Picture Book: Derren Brown
Corinda's 13 steps DVD set, Starring Richard Osterlind
AND
Mental Miracles: by Bob Cassidy.

Bit of a spending spree I know... but MAN, did I get lucky with these orders. Every single DVD is gold. (I assume the Derren Brown one is... as I haven't watched it yet... but the others AWESOME)

John covers so much material in his DVD's. His real world experience and knowledge is glaringly evident. His flair for conveying the information, as well as keeping the DVDs highly entertaining is brilliant.
Essential sleights... is exactly as described. I bought this one with (sleight) trepidation... but it was recommended by a dear friend of mine, so... I just 'Added it to Cart' while ordering the other 2. Needless to say, I am very glad I did. The sleights, taught in great detail, are indeed essential..... and I now feel a little dumb for not having learned some of them years ago.

13 steps... well, you should probably already know them but... for mildly ADHD people such as myself.. who may find it hard, while reading a book (regardless of how good it is) to concentrate for any extended period of time will find these DVD's invaluable. Osterlind presents all the steps wonderfully, adding his own thoughts and special touches as he goes... while maintaining complete respect for Corinda throughout. Excellent purchase.

Bobs 'Mental Miracles': Yet another brilliant purchase by me (takes bow)... and yet another stellar product from one of the greatest minds in our art. Seeing Bob perform (of which I had only seen a little of in the past) is a joy to watch. So many things can be learned about stage presence, and audience management, just by watching the performance section alone. Then, with the instructional section, Bob explains in minute detail, every aspect of the methods used... as well as subtleties about certain performance elements that you would never have thought of. Really top notch.

Now, although I have never met Bob or John face to face... I have been lucky enough to have had some interaction with them both over the last little while. Let me assure you though... I paid for these DVD's like everybody else... and have not been 'put up' to this review (if you can call it that)

I am just ecstatic that in an industry full of below par releases.... I managed to find these gems. I will treasure them.. and know that I will refer to them often.

Now... for one more gem... Im off to read Scryers 'White Book' Smile

Night all.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Osterlind's DVD series on the 13 Steps was literally a life changer for me. It blew me away...and is the entire reason I'm into mentalism now. I utterly love the simplicity of Corinda's thinking and the updated presentations done by Sisti and Osterlind.

I'll be interested to know what you make of the White Book. Much of the material in there smacks of Corinda's brilliant-but-simple approach to mentalism.

Both seem to lean heavily on presentation. Great thinkers.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
David,

From what I have read so far, I agree .. the White Book will (already is in the minds of many) become a classic text. Great thinkers indeed.

Will post more thoughts on the White Book as I make my way through it... so much info packed in there... I'm not sure my little brain can handle it Smile

But I digress...

If you don't own the Riggs/Cassidy DVD's ... Do your self a favour... and add them to the TOP of your wish list. Highly recommended.

Hows the new pendulum site going mate?? I hope all is rockin along for you. Really looking forward to meeting you at mindvention man.

Paul
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
And I look forward to meeting you too, Paul.

Bob's DVDs are next on my list. I am just in the midst of really heavy show schedules -- and we're trying to keep the MP site updated and stocked...and OI! I'm too old for this stuff.

The site's doing very well.. We've added Bob's book "The Pendulum of Fate" and shortly will be carrying Bill Cushman's book on multi-bobs as well. Mindvention is less than a month away...and OH MAN! am I looking forward to it.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Paul - you'll want to buy the entire series of GwFoC! there's fantastic stuff in each of them...

and I loved his essential sleights booklet and dvd too...

get bob's black box cinema as well!
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Tanks for recommending "The Black Box" Iain. The funny thing is that it was Meir Yedid who renamed the DVD and called it "The Black Box Cinema." The actual title was just "The Black Box." It was a reference to the black box on airplanes that contains all of the flight data. I think Meir missed that connection and because of the movie theater layout of the DVD decided to add the word "cinema".

Just some useless trivia I thought I'd tell you about.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
GwFoC?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 17:47, Billy-one wrote:
GwFoC?

no thanks, I already have them...

bob - black box always makes me think of "the black box compels thee"... I loved the way it was taught and shot...i'd love to see you do an extended/additional one...
I've asked to be banned
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
I apologize for my ignorance, but what is GwFoC?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You don't have to apologise..just read paul's first post!
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The Black Box will be revisited in 2012!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 18:16, mastermindreader wrote:

whooooop!
I've asked to be banned
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Its an absolutely amazing feeling when you come home and find that type of package waiting in your mail box. Good stuff Paul, Mental Miracles was the first mentalism DVD I ever bought 3 years ago if its been that long already. It was incredibly inspiring as are all of Bob's performances, sorry to make you blush Bob.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Great stuff. I only have reviewed Mental Miracles and 13 Steps, both rich in info and presentations.

Decomposing into Night
pourang65
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
192 Posts

Profile of pourang65
13 steps, and mental miracles : I don't know how many times I've had seen them. I'm looking forward to get devils picture book.
Bob, how about a Mental Miracle 2 !!!
Cheers
Pourang
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 18:16, mastermindreader wrote:

:bubbly:
Believe me...nothing is trivial...