The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Tear Apart Change Bag origin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki has come up with a new "see-through Change Bag" designed specifically for his Mismade Flag routine. It is of the "tear apart bag" style but with a different method for accomplishing the changes, since it has to perform change after change in the effect and you can see right through it. However, I am tasked with the job of researching all foundational sources and the only one I can't find is who came up with the original "tear apart bag" concept. It had to have been recent, after the invention of Velcro, but none of the current makers of the bags mentions the creator. If anyone has any sources for me to track down, I would appreciate it. I'd like to make Qua-Fiki do the research, but he has a good excuse... he is back in high school and busier than ever since he decided to learn the trumpet this summer. He did remember to locate and identify where he got his ideas as he was thinking it out, but from what I have seen... or rather not seen so far, we're going to need help with this one.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You might consider some of the tear-apart dove production bags as a resource.

BTW, although not quite as elegant, snap fasteners would also do the trick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Thanks, Bill, but unfortunately, having already gone through the Ian Adair Dove Encyclopedias, although the tricks are listed, no creator is mentioned for the dove versions of the Tear Apart Bag, which were certainly the first examples for which Velcro was used in magic tricks. Velcro's use in a change bag was probably copied from an earlier Dove bag... but whose and which one?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
I have always known of it as the 'Flap-doodle' change bag. No idea who invented it but it probably began life with press-studs. I use the prop regularly. There is a routine in 'Magictales' that utilises it and there will be another in 'Magictales Two' - hopefully out early in 2012(plug!).

Leslie.
Stories....?....That's telling!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
"Flap Doodle" was the magic word that unraveled the mystery. It was invented by Roy Baker (1921-2006), stage name of Geoffrey R.H. Hurseand, and it can be found published by Supreme Magic in "Baker's Bonanza" in 1968. Thank's Leslie! Now we can both use the citation!
Professor Spellbinder

Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Well there you go! I suppose I should have known about the Roy Baker connection. But it's good that we can give the credit where it belongs. Thanks for bringing up the subject.

Leslie.
Stories....?....That's telling!