The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: TGN Smithy underwater (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
TGN Smithy is underwater.

Irene brought about 5 feet of water into my basement. As most of you are aware, this is where my workshop is located. Keep in mind, I had just been evac'd from Ocean City NJ on Thursday night. I was able to pull the TIG, MIG, Stick and argon tank from the cellar. I figured on Saturday I would have enough time to get more stuff, the bandsaw being one I did get out. By this morning the water was 3 feet from the cellar door (which drops about 3 feet into the cellar). Sandbags and plastic sheeting were no match. By 12:00 there was 4 feet of water. The Neshaminy creek rose higher with Floyd, but still my shop is totalled. I just finished a newly designed gasser forge! Among the tools underwater are; 5 grinders, 2 belt sanders, dozens of hammers, 4 anvils, 3 vises, O/A torch... I could go on but I'm starting to get upset. Forgot to mention the obvious home appliances; washer, dryer, basement fridge (with a new case of beer in it I might add!!!), furnace, AC compressor.....

I'll keep everyone updated.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Thankfully this has never happened to me, but you sir, have my condolences.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
My heart goes out to you. Hopefully it will all come together again. Good luck my friend.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Oh Man,

I wish you well,
Just remember everything on your list is replaceable,

You are not, glad to hear that you are safe and well.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

Thanks for the condolences. Yep, all freshwater (well, the word "fresh" is subjective)... let's just say non-saltwater. Good to know that the power tools are usable after a good dry out. Haven't gone back to the house yet (at a hotel for the moment), when the waters recede I should end up with about 2 feet of it. A gennie hooked up to the sump pump will help (and the shop vac) get rid of the leftover. Silt, mud and the nasty stuff will need to get shoveled out. Thankfully the water did not reach the breaker panel. Been meaning to upgrade to 200 amp service anyway. I voluntarily shut off the gas and pulled the electric meter. 3 hours later PECO came out to do the same thing to the entire neighborhood, but most of us already took care of it.

Update in a few hours when I get to survey the damage better.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I can totally relate.. that happened to my parents house when I was a little kid... and we lost LOADS of stuff.. furnace, antiques, tools... Not sure the green river has come up that high since.. (probably 35 years ago)...

I feel for ya.. and I wish I could come and clean and polish with you.. I remember how long it took to shovel, mop and generally clean what stuff could be salvaged.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I hate it for you, Sage. I once had a house that was IN the Illinois River. Down in Birmingham, I was regularly flooded out by hurricanes. I ****ing hate water.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

Update: So, one good thing about being flooded out is that it gives you an opportunity to reorganize. The entire shop floor is clear, two benches (one permanently fixed to the wall) and new lighting. The furnace and water heater used to be located in the shop area, they are being relocated, so now I even have an extra 6 sq ft of space. My entire scrap collection is gone. Now I will be more discriminating as to what I will collect (no more "hey, stop the car! There's a neat piece of metal over there!"). Cleared out the oxy/acet lines, regulators still work. My Makita angle grinder got plugged in today and worked like nothing ever happened. Plans: multi size tiered stock rack, rolling wood bins as cabinets for things like shock absorbers, etc (plus labels on all bins), dedicated panel for the welders (4 so far), that's about it right now. I'm always open to suggestions. Life getting back to normal, slowly......
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
What a bunch of crap to have to go through. But, looks like you are stoked about some changes to be. More sand bags on the premises no doubt. Best to you.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Wow. Mogar was flooded out too - but he didn't have a lot of expensive tools in the basement. The had to wait till the lake wen down.

Sorry you have to take everything apart and clean it - but this is a good time to put longer electrical leads on anything that needs it, There's nothing worse then an extension cord that causes a fire. 6 years ago I was standing next to my band saw and the motor buzzed then started on fire - it was plugged in but not turned on. it's those extension cords that will do you in. Once, after an earthquake, I was sitting in my dining room and the shaking caused a short in the oven. I heard a buzzing then saw flames... god thing I was there.

Good luck.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

Thanks Jay. Somehow my 1" belt sander's switch got tapped by something during the first flood. Once power got back on during cleanup, my wife smelled (in her words) "burning copper". A neighbor was smart enough to track down the culprit and unplug it. Otherwise, motor powered tools have been working well after a good drying and out some unplugged back-and-forth play with bearings. The anvils and hammers didn't fare too well, most of them floated away. Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Wait...

An anal floated away?
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

LOL.. heh heh.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Yeah, I saw your vid on anvilfire. Not much I can add but what it's worth, all the best to you. If there's anyone who can wrest a silk purse out of this sow's ear, I have no doubt it's the *speaking in a dramatic MOVIE ANNOUNCER VOICE* "Man With The World's Strongest Nipples!"

Leland
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

I love you guys. You are putting the biggest smile on my face with this stuff!! Now I have a screaming baby to attend to.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 12:52, jay leslie wrote:
Wait...

An anal floated away?

Ummmmmmmm.......
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

Shop is up running at 75% potential. A few power tools are toast, very limited amount of materials, but enough stainless rod to make some nails and bits. Sword props are available. Rebuilt the MAPP forge, so smithing is handy but slow. Also don't have the 220 line for the TIG welder. Still relocating HVAC and ductwork in the cellar, so still not back to normal. Anyone interested in seeing my total stress list is more than welcome to view it.