The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Performing in a nudist resort (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1160 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I performed at Paradise Lakes in Tampa, Florida. It's the world's largest nudist community.

Have you heard how to cure stagefright? They say to imagine the audience naked.

I've never had stagefright, this audience WAS naked. I've NEVER been so scared in my LIFE!!!
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
The gimmickless zombie is always a hit at the nudist colony.
lotcaster
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
151 Posts

Profile of lotcaster
A few things to keep in mind:

Nobody there is judging your body. Nudity is the norm there.

Most nudists no longer associate nudity with sex.

Don't worry about getting physically excited. Chances are you won't.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
Can't say I've ever had that particular experience. My father, however (not a magician but a musician), once performed a gig at a nudist resort. The band was clothed, and this was expected as the norm at this particular resort.

In that situation, I probably would not perform nude. Not because I have an overactive sense of modesty, but it just doesn't feel right to me (and if I'm feeling off my game, I don't trust myself to do the best magic I can do). To me, though I don't wear a "costume" I feel that a choice in attire is part of what makes a magician's character. Deprived of that, I lose a piece of my character (not to mention my pockets!). What I would do instead would be to wear the most outrageously formal attire I can find (I might even be inclined to go over the top and wear a powdered wig) and make a burlesque of my choice not to adhere to their customs. If they don't agree to those terms, I'd have to make a difficult decision, but would likely have to decline the job.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have mentioned this in another thread, recently --I can't remember which one!

Doc TARBELL was a nudist. Along the southern shore of Lake Michigan, in Indiana, there are/were a number of nudist resorts. Doc would perform there. The magicians in Chicago would ask him, "Doc! Where do you pin your pull?"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
George S Whale
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of George S Whale
Probably a bit ott for me but these blokes seem to make it work: http://nakedmagicians.com/the-show