The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Stealing Pips--Wow! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I just watched this DVD last night. I was especially looking forward to the DVD after I learned that it contained an explanation of the Bertram Change.

All I can say is: "WOW!!"

I must admit that I am NOT a card man and don't do or like most card magic. I deliberately purchased the "Stealing Pips" DVD in an effort to force me to broaden my magical horizons.

In reading other reviews on this DVD, I understand that some magicians panned this DVD becasue it didn't contain anything "new". I'm definitely NOT in that class. I found the moves taught exciting and, unfortunately, presently way out of my league. That said, the routines were sooo visual and direct that I must force myself to at least attempt to learn the moves.

I really enjoyed Oz's teaching methods. They were clear and repeated from many angles for clarity. Camera angles were also very good and clear. Also, unlike some reviewers, I had no problem with Oz's "audience" presentation of the effects (to one "audience" mamber). I didn't purchase the DVD to imitate, regurgitate or steal another's presentation lines. I found Oz's presentation to be clear and direct and it allowed me to concentrate on his "live" handling and timing.

I give the DVD at least a 8/10 rating. While I may never be able to perform the card effects shown, Stealing Pips is one of my favorite DVDs that I own. The effects are truly magical and were precisely what I would expect to see if there was such a thing as real magic. While this DVD may have disappointed (or not surprised) some of the "heavy-hitters of card magic", I cannot envision any lay audience member not being "bowled over" by these effects. That's the type of magic I want to perform and be known for.

Thanks Oz for a great DVD and first effort.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2003-08-27 01:54, Turk wrote:
In reading other reviews on this DVD, I understand that some magicians panned this DVD becasue it didn't contain anything "new".

I haven't seen anyone give a negative review of the DVD because it doesn't contain anything "new". I have, however, seen many people express outrage at the authors failure to properly credit the effects.

I don't own the DVD so I don't know for
sure if this is true or not, but I did
look at the authors site and the site of
Penguin Magic. It is clear that they have
no regard whatsoever for the intellectual
property rights of some of magics greatest
minds.

Steven Youell
http://www.cardguy.net
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Mike,

I really can't understand the excitement you have over this dvd - it is average minus in my opinion.
But I usualy look for presentations.
take any one of the Bill Malone DVDs, Doc Eason or just buy the new Flicking Fingers DVD and you'll see we talk about a complete different level of magic.

n
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Nir,

I agree, those are fabulous videos to watch for presentation purposes. My point was that I don't pan an instructional video merely because it doesn't have a good presentation portion on the tape. To be fair, if I had my druthers, I'd rather have a tape that has both a good presentational portion and a good instructional portion. And, all things being equal, I'd like the presentational portion to be in front of a live genuine lay audience (as opposed to an audience made up of the wives and girlfriends of the production studio members or other magicians). In that way I can witness the timing and presentation being done "under fire".

However, I buy instructional tapes primarily to understand and to easily grasp the fine points of the handling. This is something I just have a hard time precisely envisioning just by reading a book. That is why I liked Oz's tape---the handling and instructions were very clear and able to be seen from multiple angles. Since I try to be original in my presentations, sometimes watching a Bill Malone or a Doc Eason can be a negative because you don't want to "change a thing" and this makes it more difficult to come up with your own routine. That said, a person can learn a lot about timing, pacing and jazz interprtation of a performance just watching a Bill Malone presentation and I never tire watching Bill Malone performances.

As to the criticisms about not giving proper credit, I have to leave that to the experts like Matt Sedlak and Steven Youell. Oz did appear to me to give credit for moves throughout the DVD but (according to Matt, Steve, et al) he apparently did not give exhaustive or complete credit. I can't raise that issue or respond to such comments because I just don't have the experience or magical knowledge to do so.

And, as to the point that there might be better tapes out there for demonstrating these moves, again, I can't raise that issue or respond to such comments because I just don't have the experience or magical knowledge to do so.

My point was that, as an instructional video, I found the moves and handling explained in a way that I could easily grasp and understand.

Call me naive, but, being a neophyte card guy, watching the effects presented by Oz, my reaction was one of sheer amazement. I didn't realize many of the demonstrated moves existed. That is why I rated the DVD so highly. Wearing my layman's shoes, I believe that what was being demonstrated was real magic.

I do own the Ross Bertram book "The Magic and Methods of Ross Bertram" but seeing a vidoe performance of Bertram's Change makes "Bertram's One Hand Card Change" (pg. 66) so much easier to understand and accomplish. Seeing Oz perform this move and give the detailed instructions for the Tenkai Palm and the switch snapped everthing about that move into clear focus for me.

And yes, I do plan on buying the Flicking Fingers DVD. From what I hear, that DVD contains highly entertaining but knuckle-busting effects. My purpose in purchasing that DVD is anticipated to be merely to witness some excellent and highly entertaining magic--magic that is probably well beyond my capabilities in this or the next life.

What I'm trying to say is that I buy magic tapes for a myriad of reasons; some to learn from, others to be entertained by and still others merely for the historical presevation of an artist and his work. Oz's DVD satistfied the reason I bought his DVD (to learn some new routines (for me), the timing and the moves); it would be unfair for me to downgrade his DVD for not meeting criteria (presentation) that I was not expecting or demanding.

I certainly understand and appreciate the positions of the other reviewers (I think that Matt Sedlak's comments and review are fair and are nothing short of brilliant). It is obvious that to some, there was no "new" material; for others, there are issues regarding crediting and attribution.

For reasons explained above, those were issues I was and am incapable of addressing. My entire basis of rating the DVD so highly was the effect it had on ME!! So when these other issues are brought up (originality and proper crediting) we are talking apples and oranges. Is it just possible that we are all correct in our reviews, criticisms and critiques regarding this DVD?

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Mike,

thanks for your detailed answer.
I completely agree that videos are THE way to learn magic (let the bashing begin)
as for the credits, I think a lot of people don't realize how hard a task it is to investigate who are all the originators. our art is such that things are kept as a secret, you cant just go to the library and make a research on a move. sometimes the books are old and out of print and it is impossible.
I have no problem with Oz crediting or not creditin.
I just think that even material-wise there are better DVDs out there.
but hey maybe I look for other things than you, that is accepted...

Nir
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Nir,

Thanks for the response. BTW, in my last post to you, I forgot to ask you to list a few of the tapes and DVDs you feel are better material-wise. Hopefully, such material is not just maximum finger-flinging and knuckle-busting that only magicians could love but is actually effects that a lay audience can really appreciate and think is "real magic" and not just a demonstration of skill. I really would be interested in learning of your list so that I can both put your comments (about Oz'z material) into perspective and also have a source of good material to later go to.

Thanks.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
mike,

here is a partial list.

- the Tamariz international magic lectures, there is never enough said on this man. THE greatest close up guy in the world, I wish american magicians would know more on this guy - here in Europe he is a god.
- Williamson videos
- the John bannon vids (although not so high on presentation, the material is very very practical)
- Daryl Foolerdoolers - very practical collection of stuff
the list goes on and I havent included any mentalism videos - the area I am more interested nowadays...

I guess we should continue this subject with PM - feel free.
Nir
MattSedlak
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of MattSedlak
Quote:
On 2003-08-27 14:55, Nir Dahan wrote:

as for the credits, I think a lot of people don't realize how hard a task it is to investigate who are all the originators. our art is such that things are kept as a secret, you cant just go to the library and make a research on a move. sometimes the books are old and out of print and it is impossible.

I don't think you realize how EASY it is to investigate these things. All you have to do is ask. The internet makes it even easier. All you have to do is send out a few e-mails, or maybe make a few phone calls and someone who knows the literature could help you out. I know that many knowledgable people would have been willing to help out.
Bottom line, there is no excuse. As Steven Youell said, in an effort to make a name for oneself, and also make a quick buck, people are willing to overlook the fact that their material isn't original, and often results in "borrowed" or poorly credited material.
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
MattSedlak,

I think you have misquoted Steven. His post never made any indication of the motive of anyone. He was just stating what he sees as happening. Steven said his piece elegantly. Your paraphrasing has made Stephen look like one of the recent "Oz Basher". He may very well be, but Steven seems too professional to do so in an public forum.
MattSedlak
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of MattSedlak
Actually, Steven said almost exactly what I posted. It can be located in the other thread at the very bottom of page 2.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
You know, when I first got this DVD 4 years ago, I didn't like it. I saw Turk's (Mike ) view above and thought I better look I nto it again. So, I got it again. Oz has some serious chops. I watched him do the Bertram change over and over and over and it looked like real magic.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I hated it. in the big picture of card magic... there is lots of it and it hink most if this is unpractical. some might be good on a camera tho. the variations of zennths impossiable twist are way over handled espeically the second version. I don;t see how it could be performed with out arosing so much suspicion that leads to the method. they would make a good pamplet of ideas but not a 30 dollar or how ever much dvd
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1481 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 14:44, Joshua Barrett wrote:
I hated it. in the big picture of card magic... there is lots of it and it hink most if this is unpractical. some might be good on a camera tho. the variations of zennths impossiable twist are way over handled espeically the second version. I don;t see how it could be performed with out arosing so much suspicion that leads to the method. they would make a good pamplet of ideas but not a 30 dollar or how ever much dvd

Sometimes, however, it's worth the $30 bucks just to watch the magic. I own most of the McBride videos, and I'll never do even one thing from those videos, but I love watching McBride do his stuff. It's very entertaining and worth the money (to me) to buy the DVDs just to be in awe at his technical skill.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-07-26 21:22, jstone wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 14:44, Joshua Barrett wrote:

Sometimes, however, it's worth the $30 bucks just to watch the magic. I own most of the McBride videos, and I'll never do even one thing from those videos, but I love watching McBride do his stuff. It's very entertaining and worth the money (to me) to buy the DVDs just to be in awe at his technical skill.

I agree with Jeff. I have Tommy Wonders DVD's and don't do any of Tommy's routines. But, I love watching them. Of course I come away with ideas that use.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1481 Posts

Profile of jstone
[quote]On 2007-07-26 21:28, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Jeff. I have Tommy Wonders DVD's and don't do any of Tommy's routines. But, I love watching them. Of course I come away with ideas that use.

Can you imagine trying to construct his watch in nested boxes! Holy cow... no thanks. But man if you ever did, you'd have a killer piece on your hands. He is certainly another one that I just love to watch.