The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Magic dvds - any decent ones I'm missing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
hellohiashley
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of hellohiashley
Hey,
Hope all is well!
I am kind of new to magic and would like some more dvds that are similar to these
Lee smith - step system, iCandy
John Carey - Handle with care
Thom peterson - behind the curtain
Am looking for dvds with routines like theses above?
Thank you!
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
John G - Brainstorm 1 and 2
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Detour and Lost and Found are worth the set in my opinion!!! Brainstorm 1 and 2
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Get Daryl's fooler doolers. Crammed full of practical material and the majority is not cards. Hope you are enjoying Handle with Carey.

All the best

John
baobow
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of baobow
If you are new to magic start off with the fundamentals. Anyone that has started card magic in the last 14 years would have been reccommended these at any Brick and Mortar Magic shop:-

Easy to Master Card Miracles vol 1 -6

If you want in depth teaching of card sleights to progress your skill then also get either The Royal Road to Card Magic book or dvds of the same name released by Paul Wilson.
ozman
View Profile
Loyal user
Tenbury Wells, UK
272 Posts

Profile of ozman
I know I'm biased, but ANYTHING by John Bannon. the guy is a fountain of certified gold card material. and a fair bit of it is SELF WORKING!!!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
What is it about those DVDs you like?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Tommytallica
View Profile
New user
uuuh jeg har skrevet
95 Posts

Profile of Tommytallica
Bill Malone "on the loose" 1-4 is a nice set.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 15:50, motown wrote:
What is it about those DVDs you like?

I have the same question actually.

So proceeding blindly here and please bear in mind that I primarily buy books I would recommend without reservation Harry Lorayne's Best Ever series.

There are other great ones but I am hesitant to recommend them because I think the answer to motown's question would really help.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
hellohiashley
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of hellohiashley
Thank you everyone for your input Smile
I have the royal road books and dvds but I have to admit the books are in the loft!
The answer to motown's question is the way they are explained and shown in good detail and you can actually watch were as in a book its not so clear...
I have several books and they are brilliant as I take them to work and read in at lunch etc.
But I find I pick things up a lot better and seem to be a lot smoother from a dvd.

Thanks again for all your responses, its very much appreciated!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Anything by Daryl I have found very useful.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
If you do not like these RSVP releases, I'll eat my hat (actually, I won't, but I think you will like them!)

Matthew Dowden - Party Animal
Mark James - Super Charged Classics
Shawn McCree - Mix'n'Mingle

These are packed with achievable, real world workers.
I would also 'second' the Brainstorm DVDs from John G; also anything from Harry Lorayne. Paul Gordon has some very good card magic stuff...

John Carney and Michael Vincent for more in-depth thoughts and instruction, Matthew Wright (the Usual suspect) for great variations on plots..

Charlie.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Bullets After Dark by John Bannon. I love all the DVD's I have, but this remains my favorite.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Brandon Sheffield
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Brandon Sheffield
Matthew Wright Unusual Suspect
Any thing by James Brown
I will also second Mix n Mingle
Mark James Super Charged Classics
the Brain Storm series
Red Mirror and Small Miracles
And the two volume set the real secrets of magic by David Stone
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Icandy by Alias Smith and Gary Jones.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 20:27, hellohiashley wrote:
Thank you everyone for your input Smile
I have the royal road books and dvds but I have to admit the books are in the loft!
The answer to motown's question is the way they are explained and shown in good detail and you can actually watch were as in a book its not so clear...
I have several books and they are brilliant as I take them to work and read in at lunch etc.
But I find I pick things up a lot better and seem to be a lot smoother from a dvd.

Thanks again for all your responses, its very much appreciated!

Then I am REALLY happy I suggested Harry Lorayne's Best Ever series. The thing with Lorayne is that you cannot lose either way: his writing style is so clear it almost feels like he is there teaching you in person and the same goes with the DVDs. In addition, there is always more in his books and DVDs than what is listed.

Since you state that you pick things up more efficiently through DVDs, you simply cannot go wrong with the Best Ever DVD series. The amount of material is nothing short of staggering and IMHO (and the opinion of many others) you have the best teacher in the art teaching YOU. Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
And don't forget the material of the prolific Cameron Francis...
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of nooner
Another vote for Lorayne's Best Ever series. I wasn't familiar with the DVDs until I put them online for him on his YouTube site. I "power watched" them over the course of a few days and was as equally impressed at the material as I was watching his performance and spectator interaction. He doesn't sleep walk through it like I have seen on some other magic DVDs. I am a book fan first, but to see someone performing tricks that are in my wheelhouse can be inspiring. I found the four DVD set to be personally motivating to polish up my skills.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 12:59, baobow wrote:
If you are new to magic start off with the fundamentals. Anyone that has started card magic in the last 14 years would have been reccommended these at any Brick and Mortar Magic shop:-

Easy to Master Card Miracles vol 1 -6

If you want in depth teaching of card sleights to progress your skill then also get either The Royal Road to Card Magic book or dvds of the same name released by Paul Wilson.

I second to that. Michael Ammar is all all you need. Period.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Easy to master card miracles 1-6
the art of magic by wayne houchin also have many hard hitting tricks which is really easy to do. not only card tricks.

also look at on the loose by bill malone later on. It is the must have DVD if you prefer studying with DVDs.
I also have handle with carey and I love it so much! sticking up for larry had become my most peformed trick.
so is kickback kings from icandy.

Anyway, as you progress, you will turn from DVDs to books, which is always better, after you understand teh basic sleights and stuff.