The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: How to Keep Run Rabbit Run Doors Shut (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
When I carry Run Rabbit Run from show to show the doors flop all over the place. I know I could build a case or cover for it but I would prefer to have the doors be held closed by magnets.

I think this would also make the handling durring the show a little easier. I prefer to hold the prop in my hands and tilt it, never touching the lever (Do others do it this way?).

Has any one else added magnetic catches to their Run Rabbit Run? I would prefer to glue a small magnet to the inside of the doors and a small metal plate to the frames. But where do I get these magnet/plate sets? What size should I use etc?

Any experiences or thoughts appreciated.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Much will depend on the overlap of the door onto the surrounding frame, how much available space there is to add these extra parts, and how hidden you want this all to be.

Let's first assume the doors and the frame are wood.

I often use magnets as door catches. If possible, the best way is to sink the magnets. Anything from a 1/8" x 1/16" to 1/4" x 1/16" should work very well.

You will need to drill a shallow hole where you want the magnet. Diameter depends on the size of the magnet. This should be only as deep as the magnet is thick, so when the magnet is embedded, it will be flush with the surface. Once you have the proper hole, partially fill the hole with thick or gel CA glue (super glue) Then push the magnet into the hole until it is flush, and wipe away any excess glue that squeezes out. Do this to both doors and let the glue dry.

Directly opposite the magnets, on the frame, mark the location that corresponds to the magnet (where the steel will be that you want the magnet to catch. Round up some very short flat head steel wood screws, and drill small pilot holes for them. Now using a larger bit (the diameter of the screw head), very carefully drill a countersink recess where the pilot holes are. Screw in the screw until the head is flush with the surface, and this will serve as the catch for the magnet.

If there is not enough depth to add the screw, you can also sink another magnet there instead of the screw. If you do that, be sure to check polarity of the magnets before gluing the second one in place. If space is really a premium, then just glue on a small piece of shim steel.

If the doors are metal, check to see if they are steel (able to attract a magnet. If so, just glue a magnet to the frame and let the door catch naturally. If they are non ferrous metal, glue the magnets to the frame and glue a small piece of shim steel to the door. You can probably cut a piece from the lid of a can.

Look for neo magnets online, you probably have to buy several, but they are not expensive. I use a seller on Ebay named Emovendo. Great seller, with fast shipping and fair prices. I have also found small 1/8" magnets at Radio Shack, but it has been years.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Neo magnets are also found in small quanities at hobby lobby. Its a good place to buy if you only need a few if not I like Emovendo too.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Thanks for the great information. The doors and frame are wood but it is probably only 1/8th inch thick. I still haven't decided exactly what to do but this info will help.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Actually, that same source named has some that are 1/16" thick, if that helps. I've used 1/8" x 1/16" before in 1/8" wood for some small boxes.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Rich Hill
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, Indiana USA
166 Posts

Profile of Rich Hill
Emovendo - excellent source - I buy from him all the time - great election of neo magnets!
Rich Hill
<BR>www.richhillsillusionshop.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3529 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I was in the craft store and happened to see a roll of magnetic "tape". It's thicker than tape and is commonly found on the back of small items to allow them to stick to the refrigerator and such.

It is absolutely perfect for this project. I put a vertical strip on all four doors and frames. It gives just the right amount of hold.

I also used it to stick the extra bunnies to two of the doors for transportation. It doesn't interfere with the trick and the black blends in with the inside of the doors so it looks fine.

I always enjoyed this prop but the doors flopped all around when transporting and were a little unweildy durring performance. I had to use rubberbands to keep from losing the extra rabbits when carrying it around.

Now everything is much more manageable. Yes, I know a case would also work but I don't spend a lot of time packing and unpacking my show. I'm a grab it and go kind of guy so this works much better for me.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge