The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Teaching magic to a hen party (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Hi guys,

I've had an enquiry to teach close up magic to a hen party for two hours. I have a few things that I know I can teach, but I'm struggling to come up two hours worth of material. Anybody have any recommendations? I've also got some vetches and stuff too!

Thanks in advance,

John
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Egg bag? sorry couldn't resist.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Toilet Paper to Egg? Silk to Egg? Sorry, I could not resist either...

But I must ask, what exactly is a hen party?
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
It shouldn't take too much depending on what you want to teach and how many hens are in the house. Teaching magic is far different than giving a show. You will be surprised at how difficult it is for some people to get the moves right.

You could buy some cheap ball vases and give them out or teach several rope tricks. Imagine the look on their husband's faces when they bring out the rope to "show them something" they learned at the party. Maybe teach some rubberband magic. If the ladies are like most, you shouldn't need but 8 - 10 tricks for 2 hours but you might want to have a dozen ready just in case.

I'd have done an egg joke too, but the others beat me to it. Smile
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
You are in my field, TEACHING! One precious advise I could give you (known from all good teachers) is: when you want to fill time and you don't have enough stuff, let them present what they just learn! I mean that once you have shown them the first lesson of the class, tell them that presentation is one of the most important aspect of magic. give them a few minutes alone to think of the presentation and then, select one or two candidates to present their effect in front of everybody. This is the best filling time technique you can find! This way everybody will find you sooooo good teacher! Believe me it's a win-win situation!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Great point, Taiga! Plus, it causes repetition, which is KEY in magic.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
You're also going to be surprised at how long it takes to learn even the simplist of tricks...I'd recommend going to the library and checking out some "childrens" magic books and using them as your base.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
2 hours? Depending on the trick 5 tricks max.

1) sponge balls - and show how it can be used for everyday objects. - retention vanish.

2) crazy man's handcuffs

3) Glass through table (they are going to be at a wedding reception at some point after all)

4) Knife swallowing - lapping again things they can show off with items to hand at the wedding.

5) A mentalism effect that requires little or no sleight of hand.

The key I think is things that they can perform without going "and here is a pack of cards".

If you do do a card trick (one where they get a kiss off someone as part of the effect might be a giggle....depends on the audience).