The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Question about Soft Morgan Dollars. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Just curious about some soft morgan dollars, from others experience with them.

I just received a set of soft Morgan dollars, First off, these coins are AMAZING, I love the feeling, look and everything about them.

My question is, Does anyone find it difficult to do sleights with these coins? Friction palm, or like sliding a coin across another coin, for example when your doing a 3 fly? It seems that when the coins are very dry, they work great and are "slippery" but if your hands have ANY moisture on them or any amount of oils from your hands gets onto the coins while your playing with them, they seem to stick together... like REALLY bad, to the point where I cant even do a friction palm because the bottom two of the stack stick together, or I cant do 3 fly because they wont slide across one another...

Does anyone else experience this? or is my set just maybe not the "best" set to have?

I tried putting a very tiny amount of baby powder on the coins, which solved the problem for about an hour or so, but then they started to stick together again... I don't find it practical to have to powder my coins every hour lol.

Excuse me sir, I need to go to the bathroom and powder my coins haha.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
This is a very hard question to answer accurately because each person/set of coins is different. By that, I mean one person can sweat more or less than another, each set of soft coins (even from the same maker using the same technique) behave differently, dry hands for one person may work perfectly for one person while too much moisture may be perfect for another, etc.

Also, the difficulty usually comes from the size of the coins in relation to the size of your hands.

Nonetheless there are several things you can try to relieve the issue. First is in the way you handle the coins. If doing a fr****on p**m, you can try getting the coins in a slightly off-set (read: not a perfect stack) or a slightly staggered position before tossing them, and that usually helps.

Rather than using powder, which can scratch the coins over time, try using a cloth the wipe the coins, specifically a soft coin cloth used by numismatists to polish their coins. What I normally do is give them a quick wipe-down after I am done using them before I put them away. During practice sessions if they ever get oily, just wipe them off carefully on your shirt.

If you have not tried it already, I highly recommend using Chamberlain Golden Touch Lotion. It is glycerin-based and works extremely well.

I had a set of silver coins that had the same habit of sticking together. I blackened them up using ammonia to give them an aged look and that seemed to do the trick. I have not had a problem with those particular coins in over 10 years.

I would bet that the reason your coins are sticking together is because there may be so many micro-scratches on the faces of the coins that are not necessarily visible to the naked eye, but still act as a vacuum when two coins are pressed together.

If you need further ideas, just let me know, but these should get you started. Anyone else with input?

I hope this information is useful to you!
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
When silver gets warm it tends to stick to itself more than other metals.
I have experienced this with silver coins as well as cups for cups and balls....less of a problem with cups due to the weight though.
Practice with them more.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Mobius makes a good point to which I will add: Since you are using Morgans you do actually have some heft on your side. Try using that to an advantage as well.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1122 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
When I first got my set of soft Morgans they were "sticky" also. However, handling them daily quickly got them to the point where they are not only super silent but they slide perfectly. I've been using them for Kenner's Original 3-Fly and they work like a charm.

I suspect that it's the natural oil from one's skin that causes them to develop the quality of sliding so well. You'd think that coins that are over one hundred years old would already have that "oily" quality from years of handling, but I guess that years of sitting in somebody's attic or basement causes the oil to denature/dissolve.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Interesting issue. I got my Morgan set from my father's collection. I have never had a problem with them sticking. These coins did sit for many years untouched. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I have handled these for a couple of years now, and have never experienced any sticking.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague