The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Interactive Force (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
510 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Hi All,

I asked the same question on the "Inner Thoughts" forum and someone mentioned that it might be useful posting here as well. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=82&15

I'm looking for a method of forcing one item out of several as part of an effect I plan on doing over IM. Basically, the spectator would be sent an image containing the names/flags of several countries around the world; one of these must be forced. Since I am trying to force a country, this came to mind:

http://www.maxmaven.com/game1.php

However, I would rather not have the spectator make decisions based on flag color. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,

Tony
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
What if the flag color was forced so it seemed random?
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
510 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
I'm intrigued. What do you propose?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Two questions:

1) Why don't you want to have the spectator make decisions based on a flag color?

2) Disregarding that question, you could use shapes that are in the flags, for example, circles, stripes, crosses, stars, diamonds.

3) Do you realize that you can start by having them place their finger on ANY flag?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
510 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Hi Bill,

1. I guess it was just a matter of personal preference. Also, I wanted to employ a method different than Max's (felt like a plagiarist). Thinking it through further, that doesn't make much sense as I use methods developed by others all the time (as I am sure we all do). In the end, I did end up having the spectator making decisions based on flag color and it worked very well. Another thing - I'll admit it; I'm a bit of a method monger. I wanted to know all of my options before I moved forward. In the end, I ended up going with the flag color method.

2. Very good point.

3. I never even thought of that, which is a shame. This makes the selection process seem MUCH fairer than having them start at a given color.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I truly appreciate it!

-Tony
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 14:24, TonyBrand wrote:
Hi All,

I asked the same question on the "Inner Thoughts" forum and someone mentioned that it might be useful posting here as well. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=82&15

I'm looking for a method of forcing one item out of several as part of an effect I plan on doing over IM. Basically, the spectator would be sent an image containing the names/flags of several countries around the world; one of these must be forced. Since I am trying to force a country, this came to mind:

http://www.maxmaven.com/game1.php

However, I would rather not have the spectator make decisions based on flag color. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,

Tony

Use a three by three matrix and you'll never need to mention flag color.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
If you want a 100% force, be careful about using ones that involve a spectator choosing or knowing a color. Nearly 10% of men have some form of color blindness (usually red and green). That will render a force relying on color identification unreliable.

Larry
CHRousseau
View Profile
Regular user
Registered Lurker from Lakewood WA
120 Posts

Profile of CHRousseau
Some random thoughts before retiring for the evening--it's late in my time zone.

Think of your options with a stack of vintage used or contemporary postcards of world landmarks with a force stack such as Chuck Hickock uses in Mentalism Incorporated for one of his United States demonstrations.

If I wanted to force a particular card, I could control counting to a picture of, e.g., the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France as falling in any of several positions in the stack depending upon counting from the picture front sides of the stack or the address back sides and with more or less of the names included, say Paris at fifth rather than France at sixth position or eleventh at EiffelTower, etc.

The paperback reprint of an early Walter Gibson hardback book called (approximately--it's on a shelf in the garage right now) the Magician's Portfolio which I think is now retitled by Dover as something like Professional Tricks for Amateur Magicians had a great effect which grouped states names in unique sets by length so you could control or know in advance the position of any one named.

I think with a little work and selectivity of region or continent you could come up with a country set and/or flag combination where each was unique in a cyclic or matrix position and you could control selection to whichever you wanted by adjusting the spelling of the name as necessary. There are also possibilities in using the multiple names of countries as we call them in the US or by their own natives, e.g. Germany vs Deutschland.

A last thought, if not using flags, why not consider F****** with a divided envelope of canceled postage stamps or a split bag of varied coins, but all ultimately from the same source along the lines that Larry Becket does with C***** R*****?

I'll read how this thread develops further with interest.

Charlie
Lakewood WA
Arthur C Clarke was mistaken--Magic has always been the most advanced form of technology.
CHRousseau
View Profile
Regular user
Registered Lurker from Lakewood WA
120 Posts

Profile of CHRousseau
A quick follow-up that hit me after I posted the above: Unless you must use a specific country, you could have a choice made based upon continents, or back to flag elements but not color, such as flags with stars, those with suns, those with cresents, triangles. With over a hundred nationa to pick from, I am sure you could create a visual matrix that would force by such a sub-category symbol. Aldo and Rachel Colombini have a variation on a force of color from a sixteen square grid that you rotate to F**** the color you want simply by how you hold it. Change the color squares to flage elements such as I mentioned above.

Also, Steinmeyer's Wakeling book has an progressive elimination grid (agains of colors) which was done, I think with a recorded tape cassette of instructions. I modified this to F**** the selection of a specific chess piece instead. It might be worth a look if you don't mind that 'moving from square to square' thing.

As a flash app for a phone, it might be a visually powerful piece you could have a local high school or college programmer produce for you.

Good night,

Charlie
Arthur C Clarke was mistaken--Magic has always been the most advanced form of technology.