The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Sugawara's new effort (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Squeeze Play inventor Sugawara has a new effect:
http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......s_id/718

Not sure if it stands the description, though...
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
The video is not good, my opinion is mixed ... like the other trick (
Eight Penetration by Shigeru Sugawara ).

Ring & Ribbon by Shigeru Sugawara looks good in video but 75USD for a ring... easy to figure out ... (and the review lol it's review or pub ?)
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I actually thought the video for the Ring and Ribbon looked very good. The method to me was not obvious and flowed quite nicely. Not sure if it is worth $75 but if I was looking for a stand-up ring and rope routine I would consider it.

John
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
I also like the Eight Penetration by Shigeru Sugawara...but I think the gimmick should be similar to the one used in Five Black Holes from Masuda...
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
To be honest everything in these tricks looks very suspicious and screems to spectators 'examine me!!' ... .

The Ring and Ribbon isn't that hard to figure out - at least after seeing the performance several times on Youtube Smile. However if somebody doesn't figure it out (which is very likely after seeing it perfomed VERY FLUENT one time - needs some serious practice top perform it like in the video I believe) they will still know there is something wrong with 'the ring', but perhaps there is an ungimmicked ring included in the trick?. If there is a non gimmicked ring this is an OK trick for laymen.

I don't know how 8 penetration works exactly but I would like to inspect the cards. The 'chosen' card is clearly forced (nice of SEO-magic to cut the video in that part lol) and all the other cards expect the joker have a 's****' in it ... I mean, they HAVE to have a ***** - otherwise it's real magic Smile. Sorry if I'm exposing the trick too much ... . If I'm wrong, tell me and I will buy this trick in an instant Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hi Killertweety the effect you are referencing is the "Deck Illusion", different effect than 8 penetration. I agree that Deck Illusion is obvious and looks identical to an effect Petrick marketed a number of years ago. You are correct in your assumptions.

I disagree on the Ring and Ribbion... I think the penetrations are visually very strong and much better than the many versions of ring and shoelace with the m$%^#t. The size of the ring would allow this to be a great parlor item. Again my opinion only.

Cheers,

John
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
I watched it again and I agree John, for parlor/stage it is a good effect. For close-up however I prefer the ring and shoelace trick - people want to examine the ring and they can, even the shoelace can be examined for a brief period if I hold it at one end Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Sugawara is a genius at inventing plastic gizmos that do magic: that was his specialty at Tenyo. Now that he has retired, he no longer has the ability to have his creations mass produced in plastic, and is obviously looking to devise other types of effects. "Deck Illusion" is problematic because not a single display of the deck disproves the obvious method--a slit.

"Eight Penetration," on the other hand, looks very good. What fault do you find with it?
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
I was indeed refering to Deck Illusion in my previous posts. Eight Penetration looks great, but you won't be able to inspect the card (I think?) and if I were a spectator I would immediately want to inspect the card after the effect. You can of course force it on the spectator or change it with a 'normal' card afterwards which would improve the effect a lot.

I have Dead Angle (watch Cormatche's performance here: http://www.youtube.com/user/cormatches#p/u/29/RRlSRqfB1Mc) and it uses a similar sleeve. The movements with the sleeve are 'akward' but the bill can be inspected.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Ok I didn't read the comment of Cormatches, if I'm not mistaking the card can be inspected but the frame is gimmicked? If that is the case it's a very neat trick, better then Dead Angle I was refering to in the post above Smile
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
Quote:
I have Dead Angle (watch Cormatche's performance here: http://www.youtube.com/user/cormatches#p/u/29/RRlSRqfB1Mc) and it uses a similar sleeve. The movements with the sleeve are 'akward' but the bill can be inspected.

Here is the new link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRlSRqfB1Mc
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2011, Killertweety wrote:
To be honest everything in these tricks looks very suspicious and screems to spectators 'examine me!!' ... .

The Ring and Ribbon isn't that hard to figure out - at least after seeing the performance several times on Youtube Smile. However if somebody doesn't figure it out (which is very likely after seeing it perfomed VERY FLUENT one time - needs some serious practice top perform it like in the video I believe) they will still know there is something wrong with 'the ring', but perhaps there is an ungimmicked ring included in the trick?. If there is a non gimmicked ring this is an OK trick for laymen.

I don't know how 8 penetration works exactly but I would like to inspect the cards. The 'chosen' card is clearly forced (nice of SEO-magic to cut the video in that part lol) and all the other cards expect the joker have a 's****' in it ... I mean, they HAVE to have a ***** - otherwise it's real magic Smile. Sorry if I'm exposing the trick too much ... . If I'm wrong, tell me and I will buy this trick in an instant Smile

The key to all of these is performance. Here are some tips:

RING AND RIBBON: combine the gimmicked ring and string moves with traditional ring and string moves with the regular ring and hand out the ring and string at the end.

EIGHT PENETRATION: Have them select a card from the deck. Do the effect. Hold the deck as you remove the card face down onto the deck. Turn it over showing the eight. Hand out the card for examination.

Any effect can be done well or it can be done poorly.

Both of these have great potential. I own ring and ribbon, and I think it is tremendous. I had never owned a ring gimmicked in this way. I have made a similar gimmick with a solid metal ring and I hand "the" ring out before and after the routine for inspection.

KJ
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Many of Sugawara's effects seem to have limited runs, as many have become unavailable.
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Several of the Sugawara pieces appear to have the Tenyo touch in their manufacture. I wonder if Dice Escape will ever return to production?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Sugawara makes all of the props himself, by hand. So it's not unexpected that stock would come and go. I bought the three most recent items (don't think I've even seen them advertised) from a dealer at FISM in Italy last summer, but was never able to get English instructions. Can remember how they work!
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Sugawara's Dice Escape is quite the beauty for those unfamiliar with it. Despite being unable to find one, it appears Sugawara is interested in maintaining the quality of his work.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
Hi, I see that diceEscape is currently not available. I have the item for sale. If interested, send me email at rtysl@wideopenwest.com. USA Sale Only. Bob