The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring On Brandy Snifter (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
Dear Mr. Biro on 24/02/10 I had written you a mail at your aol id referring to this trick. I never got any reply where as on Hindu Cups and balls you had even sent me a pdf version. Why are you abandoning the authorship of this effect? The story you have told is very nice and one can understand it. If fact I was inspired to do something after seeing DC do the Ring on Hourglass. Since hours glass is slightly far fetched in the 21 century, I was thinking of an alternative and at the weekend family lunch while pouring wine it just stuck me that a wine glass could be used instead of an hour glass. But I thought that my brain is not the best of the brains available in magic so it would be better to check if some one has already done this before. And I searched and searched and even found a web shop which was selling the effect but unfortunately lost the link. It was definitely on sale. Sine I did not buy it then and I kept searching for the effect and my research did tell me that you were the inventor. You did not claim it then and you are not claiming it now either or you would have replied to my mail to you. I am not letting the opportunity go now, I have ordered the pdf book from your webpage today so I guess I will get the book soon. But I would like to request you to kindly explain how the ring is made to vanish through the ribbon. I like this due to its more visual approach. Even DC uses the same method which Kapps uses in doing your effect. I think I can guess what happens but I would still like you to explain it. Waiting to receive the pdf instructions.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
From my research the ring release is an by Anverdi, and the late Ray Grismer published the moves in a video from Jeff Busby. Jeff Busby is not longer in business, so the working may be lost.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
It was either Ray Grismer's or Scotty York's vanish that I believe Charlie Miller wrote up in his Magicana section of Genii back in the early to mid 70's. There is also a move that can be used for this that is in Earl Nelson's book Variations. If I am not mistaken the move I'm thinking of is an Emil Clifton move? It's a penetration of a finger ring from a shoelace or a cord but it could be adapted and turned into a vanish as well.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Clifton Ring Move is wonderful. But no box used. I personally do no know the exact move used by Fred Kaps.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Alexandermagic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
22 Posts

Profile of Alexandermagic
I performed this effect to great effect in the Close-Up Gallery at the Magic Castle over a decade ago. Both Billy McComb, and Tony Clark remarked how impressed by it they were. It's worth the trouble. I did it by myself, didn't know Pete had it for sale. But I just bought his ebook!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2011, Colonel Clark wrote:
Rick Johnsson also marketed a ring on stem glass.

Rick Johnsson published his Padlock on glass stem in the Linking Ring Magazine many years ago.

It was a Padlock not a fingering.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Kalver, the man who brought the 1st Himber type Linking Finger Rings to market made out of custom jewelry also has a Ring on Glass Stem he has sold for many years.

http://magic.tophatprod.com/

Called Ring on Brandy Sniffer, sell for $50 and says it does not use a Himber type fingering. I never purchased this version, so I cannot give any kind of comments concerning how workable this version is.

Quote:
On Oct 10, 2011, RS1963 wrote:
It was either Ray Grismer's or Scotty York's vanish that I believe Charlie Miller wrote up in his Magicana section of Genii back in the early to mid 70's. There is also a move that can be used for this that is in Earl Nelson's book Variations. If I am not mistaken the move I'm thinking of is an Emil Clifton move? It's a penetration of a finger ring from a shoelace or a cord but it could be adapted and turned into a vanish as well.

It is only in the 1st published version of the book, the ring move was removed from the 2nd publication. I only heard this was done. I have not verified it.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Bill,

I'm pretty sure the most recent addition has the move.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2015, motown wrote:
Bill,

I'm pretty sure the most recent addition has the move.

It is indeed in the Revisted edition of Earl Nelson's book.
Aljaz Son
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Aljaz Son
Here is Fred Kaps's performance of the Ring On Wine Glas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyXVDBiTjgg

Just beautiful!
And we can now be sure that Mr. Kaps used the Clifton Ring Move combined with a ring box for the vanish.
The knot is also a very nice touch and to have the spectators confirm why the box won't slide further... just brilliant!

Enjoy Smile