The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Photos of a few projects I've been working on. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I just recently finished a few projects for a couple of magicians. I've been using Rustoleum's "Hammered Finish" on the bottles and like it a lot.

I still prefer Krylon over the other brands and I'm enjoying some of their newer colors...especially the satin Jade.

Ron
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Hi Ron,

That is some VERY NICE work!!!

Nick
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
WOW! I love the designs on ther tubes. Great job.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ron, all I can saw is...."Wow"! Very, very nice work.....as always!

Regan
Mister Mystery
MikeHolbrook
View Profile
Regular user
USA, Angier, NC
112 Posts

Profile of MikeHolbrook
Beutiful work, I like the hammered finish on the bottles. It's very humid here along with the heat. I wonder if the rustolium will do as well here as it does in Arizona.

Mike
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ron, all I can saw is...."Wow"! Very, very nice work.....as always!

Regan
Mister Mystery
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of silking
GREAT-GREAT- GREAT

Silking
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Very nice work, Ron!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Beautiful!
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Very nice
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Ron,
FANTASTIC!! Your work was great years ago when I purchased a piece from you. Now you have only gotten so much better. The last two pics of the Mak trick ( I think its a Mak) are absolutely awesome.

On a professional note. I have been using paints for over 30 years.
I have always thought Krylon SUCKED!! I used to call it Kraplon.
The last time I used it was about seven years ago and it still sucked.
The pigment to solvent ratio was pathetic. It was almost like spraying with a super diluted paint.
I would get literally 4 times the coverage using Rustoleum brand. To this day I will not touch a Krylon product. Not to mention the finish was far superior to Krylon.
I still use Rustoleum for smaller projects when breaking out the gun and compressor is not warranted.

Given that, I have found some folks in the Café swearing by Krylon and bashing Rustoleum.
Once again, I know paint better than most folks and I just cannot believe what I am hearing.
Did Krylon change their formula as well as solvent to pigment ratio?

You make that Krylon paint look GREAT!
Help me understand that of which confuses me Smile

Back to the original thread.
Is the prop in the bottom two pics for sale?
Thanks
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL work!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Definitely not your father's enameled pineapple juice cans!! Looks great.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2011-06-08 22:09, Chance Wolf wrote:
Ron,
FANTASTIC!! Your work was great years ago when I purchased a piece from you. Now you have only gotten so much better. The last two pics of the Mak trick ( I think its a Mak) are absolutely awesome.

On a professional note. I have been using paints for over 30 years.
I have always thought Krylon SUCKED!! I used to call it Kraplon.
The last time I used it was about seven years ago and it still sucked.
The pigment to solvent ratio was pathetic. It was almost like spraying with a super diluted paint.
I would get literally 4 times the coverage using Rustoleum brand. To this day I will not touch a Krylon product. Not to mention the finish was far superior to Krylon.
I still use Rustoleum for smaller projects when breaking out the gun and compressor is not warranted.

Given that, I have found some folks in the Café swearing by Krylon and bashing Rustoleum.
Once again, I know paint better than most folks and I just cannot believe what I am hearing.
Did Krylon change their formula as well as solvent to pigment ratio?

You make that Krylon paint look GREAT!
Help me understand that of which confuses me Smile

Back to the original thread.
Thanks
Chance

Chance, I agree....at least partially with what you're saying. Krylon is stingy with their pigments. It is worse with some colors than others. The main reason I used Krylon on my last project was because they have more color choices. They were the only brand I could find that had all the colors I needed to do my Rainbow House restoration project. I was going with a specific color scheme because I had planned a routine choreographed to music that used several silks, silk tricks, and other items I had accumulated while developing the routine.

After searching for a couple of years I finally found an old, vintage Rainbow House to complete my prop list. It was in bad shape, and in need of repair and restoration, but I was having to do a custom paint job anyway, and it since it was in bad shape I got it cheap. I wanted an older one because they are built so much better than the new ones, so the one I found was perfect.

I was reluctant to use the Krylon, because I had heard they had changed their formula. They have, and it's not good. If you did not like it then you will like it less now! However, I searched everywhere and could not find all the colors I needed with any other brand. (I used more than a dozen colors, if I remember correctly)

The coverage of the new Krylon turned out to be no different that I could tell, and most of the darker colors had an adequate amount of pigment, but the lighter colors were thin. The biggest problem I had with the new Krylon was wrinkling. I had to be extremely careful about that. I also tried to get creative and blend some colors, which I had never done before, and it turned out ok, I guess. I'll try to post some pictures if I can find them.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks for the nice compliments, everyone! I'm very encouraged.

Chance,

You're right...the last two photos are of the Mak Imperial Rice, Orange, and Checkers. I fellow Café member sent the standard set to me and I refinished them for him.

Krylon did change their formula a few years ago. My understanding is that they went from lacquer to enamel based. It's so interesting that you have better results with Rustoleum. I did not like the new formula very much when I started using it, but now I'm so used to the fine fan-pattern spray that I like it very much. The only color I have problems with is Pumpkin Orange - it seems to take twice as many coats and I don't know why. I do have to use multiple coats to get the finish I want - with orange, sometimes 6 or 7 coats.

The Krylon Primer is very bad. I bought some about a month ago to try it out and hated it. I use the Painters Touch Rustoleum from Home Depot for primer and it's compatible with Krylon. The Painter's Touch goes on really wet and heavy which I like very much for the primer.

I've been wanting to try the Valspar brand - I believe Michael is still using this brand with great results.

There's another thread about waterslide decals. I've been using the ceramic decals and have found them much easier to work with than the Meyercord decals. I've been real frustrated lately with Meyercord decals disintegrating when I soak them. Some of the decals are over 50 years old. Some of ceramic decals can only be used when firing, but the majority work just like standard waterslide decals.

Ron
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quote:
On 2011-06-08 22:09, Chance Wolf wrote:
Ron,

Thanks
Chance

Glad you like these, Chance. Ron redid these for me. I never liked the Imperial Mak Rice, Orange, Checkers as they were for a number of reasons. Ron did a fantastic job on these..... I just received them yesterday. And let me say: these pieces look so much more stunning in person.

Ron had also done a great job on an Abbott's Botaniette he redid for me a couple of months ago.

As many have pointed out here, Ron's workmanship is highly recommended.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Jimmy,

I knew Ron would do a great job for you. Refinishing is definitely his niche, and not many do it that well.

Ron,

Try re-sealing the Meyercord decals before using them. I do like that Jade Green Krylon color, too! I still have a bit of the old lacquer stock still on hand. I have used it on many pieces with good results. I really like playing with color, and I see you do too.

Yes, I am using mostly Valspar now. They changed formulas to a recoat anytime, which is good if that recoat window usually associated with enamel is a problem. The gloss colors however take a long time to cure good if sprayed in humid weather. It's easy to fingerprint if you're not careful.

The main problem I have with Rustoleum is that it takes a long time to dry. Not bad if you're painting space is very dust free. If not, dust can settle in the finish over that longer drying time. Sounds like Chance probably has that issue well under control. Smile

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company