The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Michael Vincent's Elegant Deceptions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
Has anyone bought this? I know it's a few years old now, but I still haven't been able to find any reviews on it. Been wanting to buy this for a while; however, I was wondering if anyone had a full review? I know that all of Mr. Vincent's products are excellent.

Thanks,
Jordan
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Yes, this is weird. Unlike Vol.1 and Vol.2, we cant find detailed review abt the project.
Just Many “get it” comments.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
There is a thread discussing these disks, but because of its title ("Michael Vincent III") it may be a little hard to find. Here's what I wrote on it

Quote:
I think that more so than either of the other two, this set is the least able to stand on its own. It's really most worth it if you have the other two and have mastered the material. (Or, I guess, if your skill level is already quite advanced.) Often Vincent refers back to one of the previous sets with regards to the teaching of a sleight. He usually goes over it again on this third set, but most often in a more cursory fashion.

For me, it was the weakest of the three volumes, but I'll qualify that by saying that my skill level is nowhere near Vincent's. On the first two volumes there were things I could pick out and learn from; less so here. The emphasis here is on more advanced applications of material taught previously. For example, in Volume One Vincent teaches Harry Lorayne's "Foursome." Here, there's another version with two specs (and two four of a kinds) rather than one. There's yet more work on "Matching the Cards," which shows up in previous disks.

If you are up to speed on the routines taught in the previous disks and like Vincent's style and selection of material, by all means go for this. If you're a newcomer definitely start with Volume One. And even if you do like the other volumes you may feel a certain repetition in this set.

For the record, though, the "Vegas Hustle" routine, based on an Alex Elmsley trick, is the best poker deal I think I've seen. The "Ultra Clean Transposition" is just that, and Vincent's through the fist changes on one of the routines are just incredible.

You can find the complete thread here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
Ah, missed that. Thanks very much Bugjack!
theIllusive
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of theIllusive
Just checked out the other thread-not really that much going on there. Just thought I would add my two cents, even though this thread is a couple of months old. Just purchased Elegant Deceptions, and unfortunately, and very surprisingly, I found the collection boring and rather irritating. The magic itself was perfect and Michael's performance ability was excellent. The entire volume was spoilt by the boring, mindless and unnecessary interruptions from the other guy who is at the table with Michael when he is explaining the tricks. Every time he interrupts with his gasps of shock and awe and constant ramblings, often repeating much of what Michael had previously said, it often resulted in a stunted and malformed explanation of sleights and effect. 'Back to the Future' has the propensity to be a fantastic piece of magic, but the explanation is constantly sullied by the often bullish and pointless meanderings of a fanboy meeting his favourite magician, which causes the explanations to be rushed and rather unhelpful. I won't give a review on it, just my interpretation of the DVD as a whole. Magic, good. Explanations, ok/bad. The guy interviewing Michael Vincent/discussing the tricks/being a nuisance, bloody aweful!!!

5/10
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
I thought Chris Harding's presence spoiled the entire series, but awarding the disks 5/10 seems a bit harsh. Nothing wrong with the material, or Michael's performances or explanations in general. Would have been better without Chris on them though! He adds nothing which Michael couldn't have done himself.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
theIllusive
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of theIllusive
By no means am I slating the content. Michael Vincent's magic and performance ability is absolutely excellent, and he doesn't seem affected by the clique culture that is prevalent within the magic community. It's just that I would have liked him to have given more time to the explanations, less time to Chris Harding, and maybe recap on the sleights from previous volumes, instead of just saying where you can learn them.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I complete agree about the recaps on the sleights. It would have been nice if they bookmarked the sleight teaching in the menu so you could just to an explanation of a move you wanted to learn instead of wondering what trick it was in.

For me, the third volume was the weakest, but I'd like to stick up for Chris Harding. For the most part, I thought he was okay. He did focus Vincent on the explanations when they weren't clear, and he gave him someone to play off of.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
I just think they could've accomplished the same thing (focused explanations) with proper rehearsed scripting.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Well, I think you're right about rehearsal and scripting. I feel that way about just about every magic DVD out there. On the Vincent set, the part on Marlo's Estimation Aces where he gets the set up wrong and has to redo it with pretty annoying. I don't know why they couldn't have just edited that out and started again.
Antera
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Antera
I agree with most of the comments here. The first set of DVDs he made was was OK but it went downhill on this last one that's for sure. Another problem is that he fumbles around a lot on the last one and also as far as I'm aware there are some repeat effects on the series of DVDs...the production is awfull all round... thumbs down

goodnight
rainer_
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of rainer_
Would anyone be able to upload a picture of the DVD box for this set by any chance? The packaging in the picture looks really jazzy, however I ordered it off eBay and I'm thinking I've been sent a fake. Can anyone clarify please?
Prahlad
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
I have enjoyed all off MV's DVDs and they are some of the most important magic resources I have (Ortiz's books are some others).

I have a question regarding the construction of "Back to the future." I was wondering whether any of you who have performed the trick have found that the ending, where you pull out the aces from your pocket, is a weak ending since what brought it about becomes apparent to the audience a moment later? I think that's a nice surprise, but pulling out the selection instead might be more deceptive and also more cohesive with the plot (it would be a similar ending to Pit Hartling's "Illusionist").

Also, having the selection singed IMO puts the audience in the correct frame of reference, and though having the card signed makes for a better plot, it harms the deceptiveness of the trick.

Thoughts?