The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: What is the most $$$ you ever spent on a book? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
I paid $500 for the 4 book "Collectors Workshop Set of Goldston's Locked Books" in mint condition.
All four are bound in maroon leather with gold foil stamping on the fronts and spines. As with the originals, three of the books have hasps and locks.The set includes :
*4 BK Collector's Set - #53 out of 250* printed in 1991'
1) Great Magician's Tricks by Will Goldston (HB)
2) Exclusive Magical Secrets by Will Goldston (w/Hasp, Lock, & Key) (HB)
3) More Exclusive Magical Secrets by Will Goldston (w/Hasp, Lock, & Key) (HB)
4) Further Exclusive Magical Secrets by Will Goldston (w/Hasp, Lock, & Key) (HB)
I made a small glass display case for them. At $125 per book, when divided, I still think it was a bargain
as well as a good investment. Not to mention the great conversions surrounding the comparison
to the locked magic book in the Harry Potter movie.
412zad0n
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of 412zad0n
Hi Guys,

So I was able to grab a deluxe Collectors edition of Apocalypse. What are your thoughts.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2016, 412zad0n wrote:
Hi Guys,

So I was able to grab a deluxe Collectors edition of Apocalypse. What are your thoughts.

Are you enjoying reading them?

If so, you got a good deal.
412zad0n
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of 412zad0n
Thanks Tim. Turns out I've become a magic book collector. Always looking for good magic within the pages of a book.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
$350 for Roy Benson by Starlight.

And, it's WORTH IT!
RichardIngram
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RichardIngram
Not a single book, but spent quite a lot on the 4 book deluxe set of the Vernon Chronicles. I am really enjoying going through them. Still on vol 1, so much more to go.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
$170 CA for 1st edition Professional Card Magic by Cliff Green from the library of Col. Harlan Taylor.
fogelka
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of fogelka
$600 for "Mahatma" (leather bound set) from Kaufman and Greenburg. The set was limited to 350 cloth bound, and only 50 leather bound, I believe. I'm not sure it's the most expensive I've purchased, but it's certainly up there with the priciest ones I've collected.
longdeademperor
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of longdeademperor
‘Professional Secrets: A Life in Magic’ by Geoffrey Durham. It has excellent advice throughout. There’s currently a used copy on Amazon going for $675.00, which makes the $200.00 that I paid for it an absolute bargain.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Magic Rainbow- Tamariz. $200 CA
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Been a while -- and I have had to sell some to survive medical bills --

The multi-volume and cased set of Doc ALBO'S Magic of Okito and some supplements (all exceptional in practical information and beauty) was about $1850.00 plus.

A complete set of Magick by Bascom Jones before Collector's compiled editions were issued several years later -- $750

The number 4 of limited edition (of 250) of the Complete Works of C. A. George Newman. $275 many years ago - they now go at auction for about $1000.

I have a floor to ceiling collection (48:x96") of mental/occult/bizarre and seance material plus a smaller 48" x 36" bookcase of materials on and in support of "readings, cold, hot and magical. The materials in the floor to ceiling collection usually ran between $35 to $150 per volume, the readings material (exclusive of the complete and very detailed handwriting analysis looseleaf volumes ran an average of $35 a book with the handwriting course running about $750 at the time.

I hope to not sell these volumes to raise living funds and to find somewhere or someone (other than the Magic Castl, but more like the NY Public Library for a permanent collection donation as part of my estate -- and being 78 now I have to think of that.

And, probably as you already know, unless someone active in the trade or craft is interested in the contents for use or research,to civilians the books are not even worth the paper they are printed on even for reporters and expose' writers who would attack "true belief"and fraud by using exposure of these show business and magician's principles and routines.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sounds like a wonderful library Chmara.
Good for you. I hope it brings you joy. Nothing compares to a personal library.
dawnzubair
View Profile
New user
Singapore
85 Posts

Profile of dawnzubair
I bought Orion set costing $ 400. Even individually the $200 price tag would still be the most expensive I have paid.

I almost bought Deland: Mystery and Madness a couple of months ago, but decided against it.
emanuele
View Profile
New user
London
49 Posts

Profile of emanuele
I think the prize for me must go to my 1st edition 1878 English print of Robert-Houdin's The Secrets of Conjuring and Magic. Followed by my 1st edition 1868 French print of the same book. I'm sick Smile

...and just you wait until I find a 1st edition of Hofzinser's card conjuring >:)
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
63 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Not sure. Behnke's Newmann book. Maybe the House of Mystery set. Maybe Doors of Deceptions with the props. Maybe the Complete Magick set. They all cost roughly the same if I recall.