The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Vallerino's Signed Card Thru Window Re-worked (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Signed Card Thru Window - Trailer

Signed Card Thru Window - Re-worked

Hey friends as many of you know I perform on occasion as well as manage the store. I wanted to update away from the product review pages, and talk about the patter of this what I believe is now a seamless and solid CTW Effect.

I have been performing this trick for about 8 months now. And I have to now correct my past statements in saying that it's just a color change thru glass. I have made it much more then that with some revisions that I am reluctant to share. If you are not familiar with this effect you may want to watch the trailer first. It will help you understand what I am discussing here.

It's truly amazing what one learns when you step away from these discussions, and start performing the effects. It astounds me to this day what you can learn from the spectators, if you just pay attention to there body language or verbal ques. I discovered that to the spectator the transformation is not only a card thru glass, but a card transfiguration from deck through glass. A little patter change, and this can be achieved. I've done it myself, and it's now the most powerful effect in my arsenal.

Allow me to explain: When I started performing this I would reveal the card from the deck with the wrong card stuck to the glass and then set the deck down. In the spectators mind I am committed to the selection stuck to the glass. So, I would then make the change thru glass receive the applause and pats on back, and that alone is a great effect.

However, what I noticed happening is that some spectators after revealing the wrong card they would whisper or glance at the deck I set down. Then It hit me! It's the wrong card on the glass so some naturally think that it's still in the deck.

So, based on this I made some crucial changes to the set-up of the routine, and my patter. First off I set-up the deck with a dupe of the gimmicked card and insert it a five or so up from the bottom of the deck keeping the gimmicked card near the middle. So before I show the trick I can carefully spread the deck to show normalcy, without revealing the dupe.

The new patter is that I explain that I am going to make a prediction, and fully commit myself to it by handing the deck to a spectator for safe keeping. So, I make the prediction and reveal the wrong card stuck to the glass. I explain that being a magician If I had the deck in my hand I might be able to secretly find the signed card using misdirection, and swap out the wrong card with the correct one. But since (pointing at the spectator holding the deck) I can't get to that deck your holding it makes this impossible. =Pause=

However, maybe this card (Prediction Example: Queen of Diamonds) is really your signed (example) 2 of hearts it's just that the glass may be a little dirty. At this point you go into the normal routine, Revealing the signed card. Now the kicker is that the queen they seen on the glass prior to the signed card is nowhere to be found so you naturally instruct the spectator to search the deck he had been holding. This is where the dupe queen of diamonds is found by the spectator.

So from the spectators perspective they just witnessed two cards transport from the deck thru the glass and the prediction card traveled through the glass, and back into the deck. A sort of Signed double tele-portation thru glass.

This trick went from astonishing to your a demon, which I get a lot now. Just by adding a couple of elements to the effect, and a slight patter change. I seen potential in this trick right away and it took about 5 months to really develop this re-working. I hope you all find this helpful.
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Fantastic routining!!!!!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Thank you Mike... This really started off as an awesome trick now it's mind blowing to people.
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
magicjluc
View Profile
New user
australia and France
61 Posts

Profile of magicjluc
That's a great idea Jason! Thank you for sharing.
Zatanna,female magician and mentalist, 2007,2008 & 2009 WA's Magician of the year, 2011 Fringe Festival magic slam winner. Festival Off d'Avignon 2021 2022.
Magicien professionnel au féminin close-up et scène Cannes Monaco Côte d'Azur.
https://www.zatanna.pro