The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Is that Safe? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Hi I have an idea for a sort of opener or just visual thing really to be used strolling or whatever tbh but here it is ,,,

preperation : put favourite performing jacket on ( always wear one anyway no biggie )
lighter in right pocket , five pound note in left pocket with a strip of flash paper in same pocket

working , put hand in both pockets bring lighter out in right hand and flash paper in left with note finger palmed ( or just held in the hand ) and you then light the flash paper ''transforming it to a fiver.

3 questions

1 safe?

2 is it right to do this?

3 is it going to set off fire alarms?

I really want to try this but don't know if its safe, so hopefully you guys can help Smile ps I'm 14 so would that be an issue??
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
Actually that is nothing new so I don't know what problems there should be, apart from your age.

What do you mean is it safe? You mean if you can hurt yourself?!?
Why shouldn't you do this?
And no it won't set off any fire alarms.
Practicing is like a bank, if you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Flash paper must be handled with care. I touring pro told me of a young man...not much yuonger than our OP, who set the curtains on fire. Another (not using flash paper) was using a chick pan, and accidentally lit both chicks on fire...chasing them all over the stage as they burned in front of an audience of children.

Fire effects are to be handled with extreme caution. And DO check with the local authorities before using any fire effects in a venue.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
Be aware that some flash paper burns faster than others.

Also sometimes older (like stored for years) flash paper will burn slower than "fresh" flash paper.

Julie
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Hmm okay , ill keep all that in mind and I guess its responsibility and common sense here , I will try it out but with my dad outside first.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I know I have gotten burned by flash paper. I lit a small piece for changing a drawing into a real coin - using a Frixxion pen sketch - and as soon as it lit at my fingertips it burned like heck! Remember, even if it is "new to you" it may have been stored at the magic shop for some time.

And please, please do NOT attempt to make your own flash paper!! There are some who will suggest this and it is a very bad, very dangerous idea.

Thank you.

Jim
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Id never dream of making my own , way to much effort and dangerous , I'm thinking of doing what you said , produce one coin like you said then do a spellbound routine with it. but yes I have heard that about flash paper.
k
View Profile
Loyal user
Marseille
283 Posts

Profile of k
Lol I remember burning my lips with a flash cig once...

:S

Bad experience

Well, you've got your flash paper and you've got your pretty clothes
And the magic drives your gig
You let everybody know
But don't play with me, 'cause you're playing with fire

>.<
I'm just a blind Con that lost his I...
remember, Magic's everywhere... ("Your are the magic !" - Albert Goshman)

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple. On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux" St-Exupéry
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
I must be lucky, cause in 6 years performing with flash paper nothing ever happened.
Practicing is like a bank, if you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out!
Will Tsai
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Will Tsai
Too many stories to share.. too many. Like any tool, if you know what you are doing, it's as safe as it gets. BUT, never have an open pack of flash paper beside you while playing with fire!