The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPealing or APPalling? :: Looking for review - Andy Nyman's Mindreader app (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
It's only .99 -- why don't you give us one?
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Well, like I said in the post above, it is only .99, so here's my short review:

The effect is that you say you've forgotten your pack of cards but you have one in your iPhone. You call up a screen that has all 52 cards on it, and you hold the phone screen towards spec and tell them to scroll them back and forth until they see one they like. Tell them to touch the card, and all the other cards drop away. You put the phone down, concentrate and reveal the card.

Okay, if you're familiar with iPhone magic, you'll have some idea of what's going on here. But, as Andy says in his video intro, what's cool about this is that the phone isn't really part of the card reveal in any way. You're just using the virtual deck you have on there. And in his instructions, Andy teaches some ways to further conceal the method through the way you routine the trick and handle the phone.

Apparently, this is intended to be part of a line of effects, and further ones will be added to the app in the future. One seems already added, although there are no instructions for it. (The method is the same as the card app, though, so it's easy to figure out.) In this second effect, also accessible from the main screen, the spec can choose an object -- cards, a staff, Rubik's cube, etc. -- and you reveal which one they have chosen.

Downsides? There's an add for an Andy Nyman show at the head of the app, which is annoying, and there's also a music intro when the app is called up. As you might have your volume turned up when you launch it, it'd be nice if this wasn't there. There's no reason for the spec to be hearing spooky music. My other criticism is the app's lack of customization. I can't go into too much detail here, but, unlike something like iPredict, which really does blend with the particulars of your own phone, this app could draw notice by people who are familiar with your home screen. In most situations, this will not be a big deal, but it'd be nice if a future update could address this.

Once again, as Andy says, this isn't an app where the app appears to be doing the trick. You are doing the trick. Hence, it's up to you to manage your spec's attention and accomplish what you need to accomplish in a natural way.

Amidst all the other magic apps, it's nice to have something this simple. And it is only .99...
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Had to download this and see what it was about. I must say, it is very clever and the handling makes the Iphone seems incidental to the effect. I think I prefer the second version with the various objects just because I already have several card trick apps. The graphics are really nice looking for both. I think it's a bargain at 99 cents. Bravo, Andy!

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
http://www.funnybirthdayshow.com
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
After playing with this a bit more and trying it on people, I really do have to highly recommend it. So many iPad magic and mentalism apps require the spec to reveal his/her selection before you reveal that you predicted it using or with the iPhone. As far as I can tell, this may be the only one that doesn't. The spec just thinks of their card and you reveal it. The handling is great and really does conceal the method, and it's easy to explain the app as just a digital deck of cards you carry on your phone for when you don't have a real deck.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Bugjack, everything you said is spot on. Couple of other points: There is an icon that can be touched to mute the music. And there is an information icon that does nothing when you touch it. Hmmmm ...

I'm still very impressed with the graphics. The "antique" look is very eye-appealing.

Joe Libby
Ventriloquist and Magician
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
TheStoner
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of TheStoner
This really needs the "customisation" feature added. Apparently it's on the way. I'd wait for it as the app is a bit weak without it.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 19:00, jlibby wrote:
Bugjack, everything you said is spot on. Couple of other points: There is an icon that can be touched to mute the music. And there is an information icon that does nothing when you touch it. Hmmmm ...

I'm still very impressed with the graphics. The "antique" look is very eye-appealing.

Joe Libby
Ventriloquist and Magician

Thanks. I did notice the non-working information button but not the little mute button. Much better now.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2503 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I just got this and love it...you almost think "nah, this won't fool anyone,
it's too easy", but it really works! It freaks people out, LOL
It's so simple, it really allows you to concentrate on presentation.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3269 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Just bought it....and gifted it. Nice app.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3269 Posts

Profile of magicmind
After spec exits app and you are done with the trick, the upper left icon closes it.
temtam123
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of temtam123
I just bought this app, I gotta say, it is a very clever and great deal at .99 cents!
gh256
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of gh256
The new version of this app in the app store (update available free to previous owners as normal) allows the needed customisation it was previously lacking.
If you have this I strongly recommend you run the update.

Regards,
Glenn
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
350 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Another update justbreleased has taken off the trailer for Andy's show Ghost Stories, which I believe is coming to the end of it's run in London. I think this is a terrific app and I can't wait to see what Andy comes up with next.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
PerryCarp
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of PerryCarp
I like the thought behind this. But (maybe it is just me), the graphics and the way that the user scrolls and picks the card just seems a bit too obvious to me. By 'obvious' I mean that it is suspect -- not that the spectator will know where the revelation is.

Is it worth the price? Maybe. I enjoyed seeing how the effect was accomplished. But I won't use it.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4822 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Got this today and performed it once,very cool app.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Was a shame this wasn't updated :/ served as a nice follow up to mental yarn (the object version)
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4822 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2013-12-19 21:25, DynaMix wrote:
Was a shame this wasn't updated :/ served as a nice follow up to mental yarn (the object version)

It does have the (the object version)as well,realy nice graphic's.