The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Looking for a gimmicked card effect that would really impress magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
Sid Fleischman's "You, Too Can Have X-Ray Eyes" in The Charlatan's Handbook is a magician fooler.

Spectator shuffles a deck of cards, freely chooses one while the magician is nowhere near the deck. Spectator places card in between to thick sheets of steel. Magician walks up, uses his X-Ray eyes, peers through the steel and announces the name of the card.

The presentational hook helps divert attention away from the method. Any regular audiences love it too! Smile
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
@DomKabala thanks for the suggestion but I heard that Helder doesn't want anyone to use any of the effects on the DVD, he wants you to be inspired to create your own effects.

@Chris Henderson thanks for your suggestion as well, I actually got Instant Radio and Get Sharky so that's what I'll be performing next Thursday night and I'm hoping it'll go off well, also for future reference, where can I find that book? It seems like something I'd get a lot of mileage out of.
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
Quote:
On 2011-04-18 20:19, Matthew Jones wrote:
where can I find that book?

The Charlatan's Handbook
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Let us know how it went, Matthew!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
...Helder doesn't want anyone to use any of the effects on the DVD...

Excuse me? That is really stupid if it is true. If I pay good money for a DVD, I am *** sure going to use the material. Smile
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
Quote:
On 2011-04-21 15:34, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:

Excuse me? That is really stupid if it is true. If I pay good money for a DVD, I am *** sure going to use the material. Smile

I talked to Helder on Facebook to see if it was true and yes it is true, he doesn't want anybody to perform the effects taught on the DVD.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2011-04-21 16:16, Matthew Jones wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-21 15:34, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:

I talked to Helder on Facebook to see if it was true and yes it is true, he doesn't want anybody to perform the effects taught on the DVD.

Then I stand by my statement. Smile
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
I saw troy hooser fool a room of magicians BADLY with a triumph effect using a check to check deck. I think the effect is now in print.
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Excellent info. here. Because of you all, I'm buying more crap!

I just purchased "Smart A--". It uses a gimmicked deck, but each card actually stands up to having been thrown into the air and hitting the floor. The volunteer actually can handle and cut the deck, which the dvd has in one presentation (there are multiple). The 'reveal' could be anything, but this deck is very well put together. Lot's of byplay, etc. Anyone else try this one?
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
I have it and it's an amazing routine, I'm thinking of picking up that Celebrity Smart A** because it's not a card trick like the original one. As for the original message I've already done the competition, I didn't win it but I did impress a lot of the people in the place, unfortunately though my Instant Radio gimmick was experiencing interference and when I activated it all I got was complete static. As for the Get Sharky routine, only 1 person in the place knew how it was done and that was it, the rest were completely shocked when I pulled the card out of my pocket.
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Sucks about the instant radio, glad it went well though:)
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
How about Torched & Restored by Brent Braun?
You can build as many routines around this one as you can think of.
It is highly visual, has impact and is easy to perform.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
Thanks for the reply but I actually finished the competition back in April.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27305 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Bob Farmer has a trick called Mutantz that might serve your needs. It uses gaffed cards and will likely take the gang off guard.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
Hi Jonathan, thanks for letting me know about that one, unfortunately though I've already competed in that competition back at the end of April. I performed Instant Radio (which unfortunately had nothing but static) and Get Sharky.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2547 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I think Chaos 2 by mark Elsdon is a magician fooler.
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
Thanks for the suggestion Paul, I might try that one sometime then, but refer to my post right above you.
pourang65
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
192 Posts

Profile of pourang65
I think Get Sharky is one of the best gimmicked decks, so powerful, and so many ways to present and reveal the F**ce cards!

Cheers
Pourang
Cheers
Pourang
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Matthew-

just read all the post here finally and really glad Sharky worked out so nicely for you.

On another similar (related) note, for a gaffed deck you might want to consider buying a Phoenix Double Decker deck. This deck I find fries magicians and there are some killer routines available for this. Most magicians would not know a DD if it hit 'em on the head. Christian offers a free PDF on his of routines, and you can do a perfect Trilogy, Cataclysm, and so many more. Highly recommended.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/