The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: DIY Mouth Coils (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It's just not that difficult to make them. We always give the Wiz Kids a workshop in which they learn to roll their own mouth coils and even the youngest Kids can handle it in under an hour. Every roll makes about ten mouth coils and you get to choose the colors, patterns, glitter confetti inserts, UV light effects and so on. In addition, they are really good for so much more than just pulling out of your mouth.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 23:16, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 12:22, magicians wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 11:08, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
Would the crepe paper still be too elastic if you ironed out all the folds and wrinkles? I can not imagine why not but since I have never tried it, I could be wrong.

As for the adding machine tape, there are some types available that are more of a polymeric material than actual paper and have edges that are softer. I have never gotten paper cuts in using those myself.

Ironing crepe paper is a long way to go, the idea, I believe is to make it better or on the fly.
I have seen newspaper comics used, as long as you put a shell over the final product so as not to get it wet.

I like the idea of a newspaper comic coil - how organic! What type of cap would you suggest?

Just a buffer made of clean white paper so as not to have contact with the news ink. Wrap a piece of paper around the final rolled coil, tape it, then wrap a piece at the insertion end of he coil, and tape. When you place it in the mouth, your lips and tongue will only touch the white paper.
Note: you have to be slower with newsprint as it is not as strong as standard mouth coil.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I used to make newspaper coils, but a bit larger in size... not to go into my mouth, but from the hand. They can be made a bit looser and they pull more freely with less risk of breakage. Otherwise, as Ian said, the paper will tear easier. The plain paper cap is good, but you could also just wrap a layer of scotch tape around the bundle, and maybe a piece at the lead end. The only thing you need is a temporary barrier from moisture. Aside from those with excessive saliva, most people will find this sufficient.
~michael baker
The Magic Company