The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: What rabbit cage for transport? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Finally have a live bunny for my shows. Getting everything ready. What size of carrying case do people recommend? The ones I saw at the pet shop seemed bigger than needed.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Jim I use a Cat carrier for one day shows, If I am doing a Fair or festival that has Multiple shows in one day I will load a Bigger cage that I have. But the cat carrier seems to do the trick just fine and the rabbit has enough room to move around.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Hey Jim,
I've got a buddy that has Dwarf bunny and he uses an Igloo large carrier, seems to keep the heat away on a summer day...he may have added extra holes in the carrier...
Bill
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
Jim,

I have quite a few different carriers for my doves and rabbits - many I picked up over the years very reasonably at garage sales (always keep my eyes open for stuff like this - can save a ton of $$) - I keep a larger cage in the van for when they need it between shows if on the road - smaller crates for in and out to venue - and I have a couple of (Paul Osborne idea) regular looking packing cases / magic boxes that don't look like animal carriers for going into venues where the audience might see me coming in with animals (great idea to maintain the surprise factor) - since I hail from Canada all crates are designed with covers for our cold winters, as well as proper ventilation for our very hot summers.

MM
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I also use the pet carriers. I have several different styles and sizes. I modified some of them by adding grating on the bottom. I also added some perches on my dove carriers.
Mister Mystery
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Some of my cages for the doves also have perches. For longer travels, when I have had my birds flown on airplanes, I have special containers on the inside of their travel cages that have sponges soaked in water. This allows them to refresh themselves without worring about having water that can spill. I believe this was a Tony Clark idea. (He has some great resources). Hope this helps.

MM
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Check out Great Northern Cage Company. The have rabbit carry cages, different sizes and they are fairly cheap. With these cages your bunny will not get urine stains on their feet. These are cages that people use to show rabbits.
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Thanks for the lead wizardpa - I am going to check them out:)

MM
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Cat carrier has worked fine for me over the years. Be sure to take food and water for the little guy.
Life of Magic!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, guys. His first show is coming up on april fools.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
I use a cat carrier for times when Beowulf needs to chill for for a while, but I built a small carrier that I use on stage, a five-sided box with the sixth side being a hinged door frame with a widely spaced wire grill that opens from top to bottom.

I have the production box in my steamer trunk along with Beowulf's show box. I can open the door of the box, lever down the door of the balloon-to bunny-right over it, and move Beowulf into the unit all with one hand.

The show box has a handle on top and offers just the right amount of space and plenty of air flow. When he's in it, he looks like he's on television.

And I based my box on one I saw another performer using; his was a double-decker with a compartment on top for a dove and one below for a rabbit.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2011-03-22 14:13, JamesinLA wrote:
Thanks, guys. His first show is coming up on april fools.

Jim

Good luck James!
Mister Mystery
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jim
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
We have a chain of Swedish furniture stores name (IKEA). They used to stock a very sturdy wicker basket which was the perfect size for carrying a rabbit.
I made a grated base from fine wire mesh made for chicken containers.
The wicker allows air flow during the summer and during winter I made a insulated cover that drapes on the outer side of the basket.
Tricky Ricky
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Okay, so the show was a big big hit. It was my first school fundraiser. The school netted $6100 and they are very happy. My rabbit performed like a champ. I am very proud of him and the routine. It closed the show and got a standing ovation. Thanks for everyone's help.

Jim