The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Cut and Restores followed by Rope Through Body (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I did a quick search and didn't find it and I am sure I will get varying responses.

What are your thoughts and/or experience (please note if this is from experience).

Would this be considered anti-climatic in performing a cut and restored routine (say Fiber Optics) and then finish with a rope through body (or neck or whatever)?

I was thinking that one should just perform the rope though body and that's it. Though I have done different.

Let me know what you think.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Jim Pace does a cut and restored routine followed by rope through body.

It's on his lecture DVD which goes back some time now.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I am going to answer yes and no.

The thing with rope magic is there is a lot of stuff you can do with it. You defiantly easily find enough martial to fill a 30min slot. But I do question once you have cut it with your fingers made the ends jump from end to end and then make the rope pass throw a solid ring how much more is there. I have seen some people get bored in long rope routines.

How ever I do a single rope routine which is fibre optics with the hypo ring moves added and a few extra bits. I end with the two ends going into the pocket then reappearing at the middle I am holding in my hand. If your familiar with the routine your know that is a secret move and your now left with a single rope. I then finish the routine and as people show the appreciation I do a of beat rope through neck. I feel it moves things on from my hand going in my pocket. I might be running when not being chased but I do feel it helps.

My routine is about 3-4 minutes long and lots of people like it and say good things about it. I did add a few bits making it a little longer but it dint go down to good. If I do this in a show or walk round I wouldn’t do anything else with rope.

These are my thoughts from my experience. But I am sure they’re going to be lot that agree and disagree along with completely different views.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
@yellowcustard, that's exactly what I am looking for. I know I will get a mix of responses, which is just what I am looking for to get different opinions. I like
your reasoning behind doing the rope through neck bit; even though, you might be
running... Smile You see it makes sense and you have a fine routine that's actualy a
worker for you.

@chapelly, can you point the way to this routine? I've also seen, Bob Sheets, Jimmy
TalksAlot, and several other performers do this. But I'm just wondering...is it
anti-climatic?

I mean, you just saw a rope come apart and put back together again by magic, what
surprise is it to have the rope go through the body after that or is it?

Or am I just over thinking it...a bit? Smile

Thanks for your posts...

solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
So perhaps one should start off with the rope through body first (or neck), then go into torn and restored
rope?

Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I mean, you just saw a rope come apart and put back together again by magic, what
surprise is it to have the rope go through the body after that or is it?

[/quote]

I think somtimes it can be a case of how ammazing somthing is and how far can it be taken. Almost the next level. The viwer may think that's ammazing the rope comes apart and back together again it cant get any better. Holly cow! hes going to pass them throw his soild body! No way!

I cant really expalin what I mean. But I think Derren Brown dose this on stage a bit. He dose a small effect then a larger version. In Derren Brown Plays Russian Roulette he dose a thing with six mugs and a ball. Its the smae as the gun thing. But it deliverd diffrently and the wow factor grows as well.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!