The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Bill change being sold to laymen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Theory 11 has apparently decided that laymen should learn one of the most popular and widely used close-up mysteries of the last few years -- the multiple bill change.

Theirs is called Prophet, which I saw for sale at ThinkGeek: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/......ead#tabs

The effect (based on Patrick Page's classic) looks much like Extreme Burn 2.0, a trick that I and many other magicians do.

Why expose the secret of a wonderful trick to the intended audience? Oh, yeah . . . maybe the trick should be spelled "profit," not "Prophet."

Jerry
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Looks to me like it's even better than extreme burn. According to the ad, all the bills can be examined. How do people get away with this cr*p?

Jim
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Perhaps they should also advertise their DVD's on the backs of cereal boxes and comic books.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2723 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2011-03-09 20:50, jimhlou wrote:
Looks to me like it's even better than extreme burn. According to the ad, all the bills can be examined. How do people get away with this cr*p?

Jim

This past Saturday was the 17th anniversary of the US Supreme Court ruling on the Parody of Music. It seems unless you have morals or ethics that there is no right or wrong. We certainly aren't protected as magicians. Unless we all combine our forces and boycott these people, it will probably never change.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
393 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Actually, I think that's how many of us goy our start, our interest in magic, from the backs (or insides sometimes of cereal boxes and the inside covers of comic books....I remember many times as a kid, what it would be like to have x-ray glasses, joy buzzers, whopee cushions and the like...gags, jokes, tricks, whats the difference....c'mon guys grow up 99.9% of spectators don't have a clue about gaffed coins, gaffed decks, or even TT's
dtextreme
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of dtextreme
I think this is due to the fact that EB/EB2.0/Handout 500 and others are much more popular than Prophet (sales), causing Theory11 to make additional revenue through other means.

I also agree with obsidian52's point. It is bad if a lot of laypeople know how a particular effect is done, but it can also be argued that a layperson can walk right into a magic shop. In addition, a layperson will probably forget the method, and if a different effect is better in handling (I would argue EB in this scenario), the layperson would probably not know how it's done. Moreover, it's a great way to entice potential serious future magicians.
Jonace
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Jonace
If you cant sell your magic. Sell some other persons magic Smile

Seems like that is their philosophy Smile
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2507 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Well, not a big fan of think geek for reasons stated above.

However, that change looks really good! Smile

And I have EB and EB2, and am a big fan of Richard Sanders.
But, I hate to say, it really does look better.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Not many laymen will plunk down the cash for it. Magic secrets have always been for sale and there's never been a mad dash for them to buy this stuff. Laymen have more important stuff to buy.

I'm more concerned about duffers screwing up tricks, exposing them, as well as the "magicians" that tip tricks to their non-magician friends.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
The Prophet change is not really that exciting to me, and it is actually quite easy to figure out if you already have extreme burn, etc. Now, as far as selling it there for $16.00, that sucks, but there are other magic tricks there too.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
While I hate to see popular effects needlessly exposed, this has been happening forever. How many magic sets have cheap miniature versions of stuff magicians at the time were doing? Tons. You can buy a Svengali Deck just about anywhere, yet--in the proper hands--you can still mystify an audience with it.

The majority of laypeople honestly don't CARE how we do it...they just want to be entertained.

Heck, as magicians, we usually know how an effect is being done, yet we are still entertained when watching a well-performed trick.

Sometimes I think we need to step back and take an honest look at ourselves and then worry more about how WE are performing an effect, rather than who is selling it where.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society