The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Do you see what I see? :: Suspension of disbelief... Mimes get it from the start... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I just realized that all the arguments and bruhaha about Secrets being exposed in Magic misses the point...

Illusion and suspension of disbelief is about how you pull the Audience in... It's NOT gotten by keeping them at a distance with "secrets".

Everything in Mime is out in the open but the Illusion and suspension of disbelief is incredible (when the Mime is good of course...)

Mimes are the real Illusionist in my book.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
When I first started in magic, I did an act called Mime over Matter. I was more comfortable sharing silently. Of course there was a lot of internal dialogue going on inside of my head. My early heroes included Red Skelton and Marcel Marceu. The words came much later. Early on I put on "Green Face", when doing a Zucchini Festival.(in the early 80's years before the Blue Group) Mime can be used even in a talking group in the "double take", "raised eyebrow" or body controlled muscle pass with a coin.

As inferred above there are as many bad mimes as there are "bad magicians". ...and as "they say", one needs to have a place to be bad, before one can get good/better.

silently but sincerely

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
As my teacher used to say, "Magicians make the visible invisible, but mimes make the invisible visible."