The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Clean thru/ clear thru (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Was wanting a couple of new impromptu. Just got my DVD. Looked at picture on cover and new in seconds how to do the penetration part before opening the DVD.
I saw here on a post someone and their daughter picked up on it wright away! There not kidding! Does anyone do this and it is taken well by the spectator?
I watched the DVD and they spend more time showing screw ups than about the illusions and how to do! Maybe I should have posted this on New to Magic under buyers remorse post!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear Godzilla,

If well done, on the fly, the finger penetration can be fun and a good illusion. If you've ever seen someone do the "taking off my thumb" illusion really well it is fun and funny if not a miracle. So it is important to get the timing and performance right even if it is a simple Effect.

As for the two Dollar Illusion, it is a variation of the Ryu Susato "Tokyo Penetration" which is a VERY strong staple in my repertoire. I'd give that one some serious consideration if I were you.

I've only seen the adds for this because I am already performing "The Tokyo Penetration" but the method seems similar. So, I don't know if the DVD is a rip but I know the two dollar bills effect can be strong.

-Mary Mowder
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Dear Mary,
Thanks for you reply...I have tried it on a few today and it has worked better than my expectations! I did get it cheap on eBay! Maybe I was to harsh.
I will check out "The Tokyo Penetration"! After all, it should be easy to find here in Tokyo! LOL
If you watched the DVD listed above you know where I am coming from.(CT/CT)

Have a nice day,Mary Mowder
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
"Tokyo Penetration" was published in "The Looking Glass" Spring 1996. I heard that "The Looking Glass" has had a 2nd printing so maybe it would be easier to find now (it has been almost impossible to find). I'd try finding Ryu since you live in Japan.

If you don't find him, the 2 bill effect in "Clean Through-Clear Through" is very similar.

-Mary Mowder
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
I think the Tokyo Penetration was first published in Genii.

I'll have to check my files.

The demo for Clean through/Clear through.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Actually the name is Clean thru/Clear Thru.

I'm hoping this link will work.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=2141

-Mary Mowder
Dr. Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Dr. Magic
Lonnie's DVD is fantastic. For 20 bucks you'll have a you can do anywhere, anytime.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Demo looks great.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I did clean thru/clear thru at a ring meeting tonight. The theme for meeting was impromptu. It went over better than expected with a group of seasoned professionals!
Goes to show you, when you are doing a trick it plays better to others than you see yourself! (sometimes!!!) And, some of the tricks you think are great and like to do ,do not play that well to others! K.I.S.S. plays the best most of the time.
The trailer looks good,the explanation is good, the after the explanation on film errors and retakes is long and not needed, it is filler to make a 8- 10 min worth DVD last longer. But I am not a film critic! OMO and, I got the DVD on eBay for $8.00 used!
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
I know what you mean. I'll be proud of a trick that took me a long time to get the technique, and it won't play as impressive as Chicago Opener or even Mollie McBubble. Since a technique well executed will be invisible to the spectators, they don't really appreciate what went into it. They only know what they like.