The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Psypher by Robert Smith: Honest review and opinions (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Eddiep1960
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Eddiep1960
Hi. Im new to this forum. I perform magic since the age of 10, and last year become very interested in mentalism.
So I bought some products from a local shop and I found a very good blurb about this product.

I use in the past the Annemann´s method for this type of work ( I will be ambiguous because this is an open forum and I don't want to reveal nothing)

I open my package to see the gimmicks. And maybe all the little things are broken or something else, but It doesn't work.
A complete waste of money and time.

In the product comes a " business card case" that really looks like anything less than a business case. The DVD is nice, but I will perform similar ideas with the classic Card Case from Annemann.
For the price that I paid , I don't recommend this product.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
If it arrived broken I would take it up with the dealer who supplied it. I don't have this effect but I have been reading consistantly good reports (though some people seem to have problems with the instructions) so maybe it is worth investigating further.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Mine works like a charm. I can write very lightly through several pages of notebook paper and get a nice, dark impression. Can you describe what you mean by "broken"?

Don't forget to take off the plastic sheet on your gimmick.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Eddiep1960
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Eddiep1960
I talk with my dealer, and they told me that they are very sorry , but the product was just broken. They offer me a discount, but I don't want to other one. I prefer the classic. Maybe is a great product, but personally left me a bad impression.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
A discount?! I would never use that dealer again. They should replace it for free.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Psypher rocks, and whoever sold you the broken Psypher and is only offering you a discount instead of replacing it doesn't. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Based on all the reviews I have read I have just ordered this. I get the feeling the "broken" issue was a one off and I have not let it put me off. In the past I have twice received faulty goods and they have always been quickly replaced by the dealers, I would probably not buy again from a dealer who quibbled over this sort of thing.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 08:20, Eddiep1960 wrote:
Hi. Im new to this forum. I perform magic since the age of 10, and last year become very interested in mentalism.
So I bought some products from a local shop and I found a very good blurb about this product.

I use in the past the Annemann´s method for this type of work ( I will be ambiguous because this is an open forum and I don't want to reveal nothing)

I open my package to see the gimmicks. And maybe all the little things are broken or something else, but It doesn't work.
A complete waste of money and time.

In the product comes a " business card case" that really looks like anything less than a business case. The DVD is nice, but I will perform similar ideas with the classic Card Case from Annemann.
For the price that I paid , I don't recommend this product.

This really sounds like a dealer issue and not a Psypher issue. Any gimmick can be purchased broken--completely unacceptable for the dealer not to exchange the product.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I don't even know how this could break...
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Eddiep1960
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Eddiep1960
I don't want to reveal anything, but the impression doesn't work.
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of afknight
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 15:40, Eddiep1960 wrote:

I wouldn't give up on the product but I would definitely give up on the dealer who wouldn't exchange it for a new one.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 15:40, Eddiep1960 wrote:

Psypher is a VERY high quality and powerful device. Period. It is a shame you are having some issues, but your dealer and Papercrane should help you to make things right and get you a working product. Here are some tips to make certain that everything gets callibrated correctly that I posted in another thread here:

A few good ideas here:

1) CRITICAL: The gimmick for the im******n has a clear plastic "protective sticker" at the front (gray) side. That needs to be removed for best effect. The DVD not the directions mention this but it is mentioned in earlier threads. Get rid of it - it will easily peel away just like the plastic that would protect a piece of chrome or a new dishwasher, etc.

2) Make sure the pen was set right as per the DVD - small taps - so that you set it right, without going too deep.

3) Audience management: Make sure you ask the spectator to hold the pen and card-box/wallet/pad "UP SO THAT I CAN'T SEE THE WAY YOUR PEN IS MOVING OR WRITING" (as mentioned by B. Smith in the DVD). This is prety key I have found - If the spec put the gimmick flat and then starts writing at a hard angle, you definitely will NOT get a good im*******n. You need to make certain the spec has to almost write at an unnatural angle - pretty close to straight on if possible. I have almost no trouble with this as I mention to hold the deck or wallet up higher so I can't see the way they are writing. Sometimes people laugh a bit when I say this, but if they aren't listening ...I look at them and say I can see their pen moving - so hold the deck/wallet and pen higher. This results in a more straight on and clear im******n.

4) I always try to give an extra "prep" to the gray side (im******n side) of the gimmick before a performance. I use a mag*** to prep the gray side completely, then erase. This seems to train the fibers/filings (or whatever it is) to work more effectively. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT TIP!

5) Make sure you ask the spec to write clearly - as they see the name, etc in their mind - I also mention see the name in block letters. Be careful about who you choose too - I have made the mistake of picking people who purposely write small or messy (Doctors!) and I now try to choose the right (or should I say write!) person based on my sense at the moment.

With these bits you should be getting everything you need and more.

Here is a good thread to read too:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=90

BRETT
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
masterpritam
View Profile
New user
Mauritius
16 Posts

Profile of masterpritam
I want to buy one. But I still hesitate...to buy or not to buy. I bought "Vision Supreme" in the past but I never used it. I think that the Gimmick is the same.

Buy Psypher or not?
dzen871
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dzen871
I bought but never actually used it, after few weeks I lost my pen, don't know if I want new. For me peeks with wallets or using just a bussines card works much better.