The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Easy (and cheap!) magic table stand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
[I cross-posted this on a couple of the threads here on Magic Cafe]

If you have a "Jo-Anne's Fabrics" craft store near you check this out:

Jo-Anne's currently has on clearance sale a Holmes Portable Floor Stand for $11.98

The floor stand is intended to be used as a stand for an architect lamp or a magnifier lamp. It is the classic thin center rod with four feet that we magicians love to attach our table-tops to.

By attaching a dowel to the underside flange of a standard magic table top (such as made by Abbott's or Mak Magic) one can clasp the dowel end onto the Holmes Portable Floor Stand.

Voila! A Classic Magic Table is born.

Also, you could attach a flange to the underside of an attache or briefcase and use the stand to hold the briefcase/table.

The Holmes Portable Floor Stand breaks down into pieces that would fit into a standard briefcase.

For $11.98 it is "such a deal"........ buy two or three.

(even the original price of $24.95 is cheaper than what you would pay for a stand like this in a magic shop)
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Hey Dai!

Good Find!

That is my kinda magic thinking man!
I wander through the Jo-anne fabric's company store here near Akron Ohio on my lunch hour a couple times a week, just looking for anything that will work as a replacement for a standard off the shelf magic item. And I missed that one altogether!

I stopped by and got a couple. They come in Black and White. I got the last two Blacks at the HQ store.

I think these will work out very nice, as I plan to make up two table tops; one that takes one stand, and a larger one that will make use of both stands at the same time.

Thanks

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
I'll be checking it out. I just paid for two small table stands from Tannen's and believe me when I tell you they weren't cheap.

Ace
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I bought two of these based on your recommendation and the price. Thanks! Great deal for sturdy, attractive, high-quality stands!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I got two also, and will now proceed with my two table tops.

The bases assemble and disassemble without tools also, which is nice.

But the bases are a bit heavy. This is good for stability, but bad for light and esay handling. So they wil be best where you set up and it stays for a while. You wouldn't want to assemble and disassemble and carry them around every few minutes.

However at $11.98 each, they definitely have a place, and I am more than pleased that you turned us on to them Dai!

Thanks again

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
Don't forget the old music store. I have picked up second hand tripods for next to nothing and old violin cases etc which are ideal for a small close up show. Another alternative for stage magic is the keyboard stands also found in the music store, these are great for large table areas, and your assistant/stage hand can swap table tops during the show for different effects.

I make my own table tops which fit onto the standard music sheet tripod. They are about briefcase size but have all sorts of nooks and crannies, drawers and pockets custom made for my particular routine.

They're fun to make, cheaper than a bought one and more easily repaired in case of accident.