The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: What is a flourisher?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I have posted this question many times and my posts keeps getting erased. Everytime I make a post in this forum, I'm told that I'm not a "flourisher", so can someone answer this question? What defines a flourisher?
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
aby9plp
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
255 Posts

Profile of aby9plp
Well, I guess a flourisher is someone who does lots of flourishes, like a magician does magic. But a flourisher does A LOT more flourishes, so much more, that people know him for his flourishes and what he does. But why don't you go on handlordz and go ask there to the pros, since you seem to be interested in this art form.
-aka-
Phoenix
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
Good point. You wouldn't ask a rubix cube master about ping pong, would you?

Cardjinx Smile
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
You might if he is also a ping pong master...

-Jason
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
But I thought you were a flourish expert Cardjinx? You seem to talk like you are a master after reading some of your posts. Why can't you answer the question? Smile
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
I can, but don't think it will be productive.

Cardjinx Smile
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Flourisher = pasteboardpimp!!

That's a great question. You are also going to get lots of different answers because it means different things to different people.

I mix flourishes with my magic. I also do flourishes on their own too. I love the challenge of having to learn something new and different. There is nothing better than busting out with a cool formation and display with a deck of cards.

To me, a flourisher is a person who loves to figure out new stylish and innovative ways to display a deck of playing cards. He or She is also someone who can't stop fiddling with the deck of cards until they think they have something new to perfect so that they can move onto something else.

I'm just telling you about myself here. I read the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes at least 3 times a week. I have to learn everything I can because it's just fun for me to see what I can and can't do. I buy all the videos because I don't think you can call yourself a student if you don't study everything that is out there.
JackTheRipper
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JackTheRipper
Quote:
On 2003-07-24 16:02, iamslow wrote:
But I thought you were a flourish expert cardjinx? You seem to talk like you are a master after reading some of your posts.. why can't you answer the question? Smile

Maybe, if you showed some respect, this would stay.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:
On 2003-07-24 17:23, Lonnie Dilan wrote:
Flourisher = pasteboardpimp!!

That's a great question. You are also going to get lots of different answers because it means different things to different people.

I mix flourishes with my magic. I also do flourishes on their own too. I love the challenge of having to learn something new and different. There is nothing better than busting out with a cool formation and display with a deck of cards.

To me, a flourisher is a person who loves to figure out new stylish and innovative ways to display a deck of playing cards. He or She is also someone who can't stop fiddling with the deck of cards until they think they have something new to perfect so that they can move onto something else.

I'm just telling you about myself here. I read the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes at least 3 times a week. I have to learn everything I can because it's just fun for me to see what I can and can't do. I buy all the videos because I don't think you can call yourself a student if you don't study everything that is out there.

Well said Lonnie! You are definitely a gentelman and scholar in answering my question. I posted the same question a number of times and all my post kept getting deleted. I guess everyone thought I was just being a smart***, but I was really being serious. The most common answer I got was, "just watch De'vo and Jerry and that's what a flourisher is". Anyways, anyone else have any opinions on this question? thanks Smile
Skulldini
View Profile
New user
N. California
80 Posts

Profile of Skulldini
One of the definitions listed in a dictionary for flourish is:

Something executed or to be executed in a bold, dashing, or flaunting manner; as: A fantastic or showy performance.

Ergo: A Flourisher would be one who meets the above definition, whether cards, coins, or any other device that is being used.
Just my thoughts on the subject. Smile
Skulldini Smile
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Skulldini phrased it excellently. Also, he used the word ERGO. My favorite word!
aby9plp
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
255 Posts

Profile of aby9plp
What does that mean?
-aka-
Phoenix
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
It means "therefore" or you could say "hence"

-Jason
JackTheRipper
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JackTheRipper
I guess it is the ultimate entertainer. If you can manage to get people to watch you do flourishes for a few hours, then you have some mad skills.
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
A flourisher:

Someone who is willing to put up with papercuts and deranged decks of cards until the end result is more than they could ever expect.

Someone with a lot of time, who is willing to put forth the effort required in the mastery of the moves.

I know Iamslow is a wonderful card guy, but also a good friend. He flourishes with ease and is always willing to share insights into the art. Don't bash Iamslow because he takes this art VERY seriously, maybe more so than most of us.

Dominic