The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Magic lectures vs. magic shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
Ive noticed that there seems to be more magic lectures advertised than magic shows. If you happen to want to see one of your favorite magicians perform it seems as though you have to see them at a lecture. Its been like this for years. Is this were the magic market is at? Even if look up a lot of magicians on the internet or type in magic it takes you to sites to buy books and videos. Even laymen I talk to ask about this. A lot of them have mentioned that it seems to become a magician; you have to pay large sums of money to get the secrets.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Good point Kasper. I would like to see a list of how many magic shows are available to the public at any given time. I know in Los Angeles there is the Magic Castle and Magicopolis. Vegas has Angel, Copperfield, Penn&Teller, Mac King. New York has Monday Night Magic and Play Dead. Hawaii and Branson have a couple of shows. What about the rest of the country?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Theres always the streets....
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
There are plenty of magic shows available to the public; however, they are primarily limited to the major metropolitan areas where there is either a large enough local population or is a popular tourist destination in order to support such performances (e.g., places like New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, etc.). Apart from such locations you'll find that while there may be a lot of such performances being presented they are almost exclusively for private events (i.e., conventions, trade shows, corporate or association events and private parties) and are not generally open to public at large. Smaller cities and towns simply do not have the population required to support a venue devoted to variety entertainment in general, let alone exclusively to magic shows.

One exception might be cities/towns where a college/university is located as there are a number of magicians, mentalists and hypnotists who work the college circuit. The only problem in those cases may be that the shows may not be promoted/advertised outside the student community itself.

Otherwise you are probably limited to lectures at the local magic club and few of them are what I would describe as "shows." Rather they tend to be either little more than "dealer demos" at which the lecturer hawks his books or products or serious teaching sessions/workshops.
Dick Christian
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Is it possible the reason lectures are more like dealer demos or workshops is because those who make a good living performing shows don't want to take the pay cut lecturing and/or don't want to share the real work? Remember that old adage "...those can, do, those who can't, teach." I know very few make a substantial living only doing shows.
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
I suppose that a lot of magician and mentalist shows are booked at private events.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
One word if you want to see magic? VEGAS!

Peace.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Magic shows are for the public, lectures are for magicians. You can make a good living at both if you are properly motivated. (However, having product helps if you do lectures)
Official Thread Killer
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Don't forget about those who are doing trade shows, corporate shows, working on cruise lines and resorts. There might not be a lot of library magicians, but there are a lot of working magicians. However, only a few become house hold names.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"