The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Up, up and away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Have anyone ever had a dove fly away from you during a performance?

Plenty of times this had happen to me. Most times I put my dove back on his perch. A few times outside he had flown away permanently.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike: Doves fly, it's what they do. Keeping them with you or on a perch during a performance is all part of training. They need to feel as safe during your performance as they do at home during rehearsal.
A few things I do when rehearsing is have music turned up so they get used to the sound. Secondly, I make sure I have plenty of light shining on them so they get used to a spotlight atmosphere.

In the past, I put a little seed in small packages attached to the perch. I now have my doves trained enough that the seed isn't necessary.

Without seeing your act or how you practice, it is difficult to pin point the exact problem however, from what you have said, it sounds like more practice is required.

As for performing outside, there isn't much you can do. I personally don't attempt it but I know some dove workers that do. You can clip the wings to prevent them from flying but I don't recommend that process. It's just a matter of choice with me.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
When I do kid's 1 - hour shows, my second trick is having a latex dove turn into a real one. Next I place him on his perch as I continue with the rest of the show. The third from last I place him in the Indian Dove Chest and he transforms into a ferrot. Then he reappears from a balloon of the Appearing Dove Tray.

I don't like clipping wings like you. At times I will use the Invisible Dove Harness, keeping the string clipped to a piece of the perch.

Many of my doves get use to being outside without flying away. But sometimes a burst of wind or other birds chirping may distract them.
brycol24
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of brycol24
I have doves and I have had many fears on large places that my doves will fly away. I have discovered a way to keep them from flying far and not clipping their wings. I simply use rubber bands that are used for braces on your teeth.

What I do is take the last 4 - 5 feathers and put a small rubberband around them to close them together. Doing this resembles the wings being clipped. It works great.

The only thing is that you need to make sure the bird does not try to fly to much or the rubber band could come off. If you have birds that might do that then use 2 rubber bands per wing and that should do the trick.

Good luck,

Brian