The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: D. Robbins Magic Wand Tube Sets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ajsmola
View Profile
New user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
35 Posts

Profile of ajsmola
Hey Everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, and since the search function is no longer working on this site, I can't look for older posts.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience purchasing "GIANT Magic Wand Set" from D. Robbins, which sells for $4.75 wholesale. I have designed my own magic kit before, but I no longer want to spend the time individually packaging everything.

I was just curious if anyone has purchased these before, and could comment on the quality, what they look like, etc. I was thinking on selling them for $10.00, and slapping a sticker on the side of them with my logo, etc.

Thanks,
Alan Smola
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I buy these and basically rebuild them. The process takes me about 2-3 minutes per kit. I replace the Robbins booklet with my own custom instruction booklet with promotional material added. My booklet includes a list of magic books available at local library branches and ads for the local magic shop, our Magic Youth Raleigh program, the IBM and SAM for "continuing your magic studies." I put my color label on the outside of the wand and shrink wrap it. My kit sells BOR for $15.00 with an optional $5.00 DVD explaining the effects and presentation.

The materials in the kit are not the worst I've seen and you get a pretty good selection. For a beginner magic kit ready-made at under $5.00 wholesale and with the eye-appeal of the heavy cardboard wand packaging - it's a bargain over some of the other junk out there. More importantly, I've yet to hear a complaint from a single child or parent.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Alan,
The D. Robbins booklet that comes with the kit is terrible. In fact, you can get into trouble featuring cigarette and match magic tricks and selling them to young kids.

Skip and others get around this problem by replacing the booklet with custom instructions.

I find it better to put together my own kit. For about the same cost ($1.25 more for the wand its self!) I put together a better set of tricks, with a jumping magic wand! I filmed explanations for all the tricks and put them on a secret page of my website. Once people purchase the kit, they can access the web page and watch me demo, then teach each trick.

This means no re-printing manuals, no DVD duplication fees, no DVD fees, and the whole thing fits inside the wand!

In my opinion, the D. Robbins wands look terrible, they don't look very nice. I made my own vinyl-covered wands for about $1.25 each, they look much, much better and are a little bigger.

Just my thoughts! Best Wishes! - Kevin