The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Discovery vs Creativity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
I'm not sure this is the right section for this but I have a question? Is the discovery of something the same as creating something from nothing and can we claim originality for a discovery?
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27305 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Originality is not the same thing as novelty.
Very few things are known to have come from nothing - and of those most are hypothetical, almost including antimater. Smile
It is quite the occasion when one discovers or builds a thing which is both useful and novel in the field.
There have been some very clever and diligent folks in magic throughout it's history and they've left us quite a trove of items - some of which seem to get rediscovered every so often.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Discovery is to find an ore, and Originarity is to shine the ore.

Hideo Kato
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
Great to hear that you cared enough to notice when you saw something new.
Many things have been discovered by accident, rather than thought out or actively searched for, and including some of the greatest things ever, like antibiotics and the transistor. How you arrived at it does not matter, it is original if it is sufficiently different from what others have been doing.
Good luck