The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Borrowing Others Material - Insighnt and opinions. :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I originally started this in another thread. People suggested to post it here and get the views of stage performers.

You can see the original thread here. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=177&9

A buddy and I were discussing this topic the other day about "borrowing" ideas from other magicians routines. 90% of all the magic you know whether it be sleights, patter, routines, were all developed or created by someone else, then published in books, videos, magazines etc. So, lets say you wanted to make a stand up comedy act. And you wanted to take ideas from other magicians routines. (The amazing Johnathan's Hand is quicker than the eye gag, or his Linking rings, these ones are already linked so we can move on with that. Or Michael Finney's card on forehead routine.) This is considered wrong to use other magicians patter, routine, or effects. My buddy says that as long as your not making an instructional video of someone elses work (without their permission), Its completely fine to use others ideas for his own routine.

This was being talked about while I was trying to help him come up with a comedy stand up act. Neither one of us are too good at making comedy bits. So we started watching other magicians routines to get some inspiration, and that's how the topic came up, from him saying, "Why don't I just do this whole bit?" (referring to Michael Finney's card on forehead routine.)

We already had a few drinks, so obviously the discussion turned to more of an argument. So that's why I'm here to see what others think about the topic.

So feel free to leave some input.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
IMHO one's performing work is more personal than the clothes one is wearing much less ones possessions or relationships. It comes from inside and is part of ones growing process. IMHO a hands off policy seems respectful.

IMHO it's fine to ask them about their material (is it in print?) and you might get some ideas out of that discussion which would better suit your own needs - or permission to use theirs - or maybe not.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3227 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
This topic is continued at A little insight on "borrowing" routines?
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"