The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Silk Stuffing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
I have a routine involving the stuffing of an eighteen inch silk into my fist. It takes a while to stuff it into my fist no matter how fast I move my fingers. During which the audience is probably thinking get on with it. What could be done or said to relax the anticipation while a magician stuffs a large silk into his fist?
Jeremy Gates
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Can you roll it into your fist? Rolling a silk takes a jiffy ( for us old folks, make that two jiffies).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Could you use a diamond cut silk to speed up the process? It has less bulk and looks like an 18 inch. You just can't show it as a full size silk.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-12-07 13:27, Spellbinder wrote:
Can you roll it into your fist? Rolling a silk takes a jiffy ( for us old folks, make that two jiffies).

By roll what do you mean and how would I do that?
Quote:
On 2010-12-07 17:25, Jef Eaton wrote:
Could you use a diamond cut silk to speed up the process? It has less bulk and looks like an 18 inch. You just can't show it as a full size silk.

That would definitely work thanks.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is the kind of thing that you will be better to find some witty patter. Never talk while stuffing, but pause and mention the funny lines.

If silent, use positioning to vary the polking of the silk. Stuff in front of your stomach, then move your hands up in the air with the fist tilted toward the audience, opening that is where the silk is entering. Then the other side.

Movement, tempo, etc. creates interest. I realize it depends on the gimmick you are using, but think about it and see if you can come up with some kind of changes to create and hold the interest of the audience.

Try to create anticipation causing the audience to wonder what will come next.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

I do have a silent act and that could work. Thanks
Jeremy Gates
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2010-12-07 13:07, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
I have a routine involving the stuffing of an eighteen inch silk into my fist. It takes a while to stuff it into my fist no matter how fast I move my fingers. During which the audience is probably thinking get on with it. What could be done or said to relax the anticipation while a magician stuffs a large silk into his fist?

As an old booking agent, a common fault found among performers is thinking that a good show involves showing the audience how fast I can get this done. Usually for a magic act, all this telegraphs is "I have something to hide". Speed is the entertainers' objective and not the objective of the audience. They are there to be entertained. There is no fire to escape!

Confidence is perhaps the best investment. Relate to the audience. The silk is incidental. (You will also find that 5-6 "pokes" into the fist is not overdoing it or stressful to accomplish.)

Enjoy the show!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bob, is correct. Watch General Grant do his color change. It is very slow and deliberate. Pauses and facial expressions can also had variety to the routine.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I never got back to answer JG's question about rolling. For others who aren't familiar with the concept, try this. Put a tiny knot in the very corner of a silk. Lay the knot on the palm of your non-dominant hand, directly in the center of the palm. With your dominant palm, press down on the knotted corner of the silk and begin to rotate your dominant palm in a circle around the knot. The silk should begin to wind up around the knot and in one or two jiffies, the silk will be in a ball with the knotted corner at the center. This takes some practice, and various factors are to be considered while practicing, such as having slightly moist hands rather than dry hands, learning how much pressure to apply, and so on. Once the silk is rolled up into a ball, you can perform sleight of hand with it as if it were a ball, keeping in mind that if you release the pressure, it may spring back open again, so do what you have to do quickly!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-05-18 11:25, Bob Sanders wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-07 13:07, J.G. the magnificent wrote:

As an old booking agent, a common fault found among performers is thinking that a good show involves showing the audience how fast I can get this done. Usually for a magic act, all this telegraphs is "I have something to hide". Speed is the entertainers' objective and not the objective of the audience. They are there to be entertained. There is no fire to escape!

Confidence is perhaps the best investment. Relate to the audience. The silk is incidental. (You will also find that 5-6 "pokes" into the fist is not overdoing it or stressful to accomplish.)

Enjoy the show!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander

Ya I have noticed from watching myself on video moves tend to look faster than they seem while I do them. Silk stuffing is probably quicker to the audience than to myself.
Quote:
On 2011-05-18 13:24, Spellbinder wrote:
I never got back to answer JG's question about rolling. For others who aren't familiar with the concept, try this. Put a tiny knot in the very corner of a silk. Lay the knot on the palm of your non-dominant hand, directly in the center of the palm. With your dominant palm, press down on the knotted corner of the silk and begin to rotate your dominant palm in a circle around the knot. The silk should begin to wind up around the knot and in one or two jiffies, the silk will be in a ball with the knotted corner at the center. This takes some practice, and various factors are to be considered while practicing, such as having slightly moist hands rather than dry hands, learning how much pressure to apply, and so on. Once the silk is rolled up into a ball, you can perform sleight of hand with it as if it were a ball, keeping in mind that if you release the pressure, it may spring back open again, so do what you have to do quickly!

I recently go Tarbell Course and he mentions silk rolling like you just said but without the knot. I can do it now, though the advice is appreciated. I never thought to knot the silk. Thanks
Jeremy Gates
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you can do without the knot, more power to you. The knot is useful to beginners, but once you catch on to the technique, you can do without it.

The technique makes a great way to color change a silk. Roll it into a ball, toss the ball into the air and it unravels, a silk of another color. Like I said above, once it becomes a ball, you can do ball magic with it!
Professor Spellbinder

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Curious how to color change like that but I'm sure I'll figure something. Guess this isn't secret sessions and people don't always want to spoon feed me. Thanks
Jeremy Gates
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
One of the real major changes in silk since back in the days when Rice and Tarbell were published is that, at last, very good hems are available. In those days China Silk was not legally available in the USA. Japanese silk was all that most magicians in the USA could get. The hems were rolled, round instead of flat, and sewn with long galloping stitches. Those days are over. The lumpy corners and hems made starting a roll easy.

China silks available today have good, strong, flat, 2mm hems. They are harder to start rolling than the old Japanese round hems. There is good reason now to tie a small knot or sew a small bead into the corner to make it easier to get started rolling. (Once the rolling is started, there is no benefit of either method. And that can also be done but takes some practice.) Improved quality has its price too. The change to China silk is well worth it! (Professional Japanese magicians use China silk.)

And for color changing silks methodology, Rice and Tarbell are excellent places to start your research. It will save you a ton of money in DVDs you may never need.

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com