The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Fund-raiser ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm new to the business side of this. I have a good show - enough material, in fact, that I could do two shows about an hour each without repeating myself. My intended target is family gatherings, birthday parties, and other events (clubs, schools, etc) for kids grades 1-6 and the families that own them.

Getting the name out there, though, is slow going at first. Yah, this is normal, so I'm not griping. (I'd really hoped to kick it off with a few public shows, but neither turned up much in the way of contact. The first, I just didn't know how to milk it properly. The second, everyone depended on someone else to advertise - including me!)

So I'm turning over ways to get myself out there in front of people. And one of the thoughts was to offer my services to groups as a fund raiser. I've contacted someone with a bit of experience here, and I just bought Jim Snack's Ice Cream Social kit. Haven't had time yet to dive into all that info.

As well, I've been think about the following, and I wonder what y'all think. The primary focus is to get myself in front of people who will see me perform, and do so in a way that has good feelings attached.

-- Offer a show as an item at a charity auction
-- Offer a show to a charity as an eBay auciton item
-- Perform at a group or charity's fund-raising event as a crowd draw

With each event would be notices to the local media outlets (from me in the name of the group or charity) about the auction or event, approval for BOR and marketing, and a portion of the proceeds.

Am I on the right track? Or going somewhere I don't want to be?

Ed
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Hi Ed,

A couple of thoughts:

-- Offer a show as an item at a charity auction - I've done this and it's not worth it. I usually forget about it and then get a phone call a year later wanting the show. Then I find they paid $100, but expect a me to do a corporate show for 400 people. I would rather donate the $100 to the charity and have the night off. Furthermore, you will be in the mix with dozens of other auction items and won't get a lot of exposure.

-- Offer a show to a charity as an eBay auciton item - see above

-- Perform at a group or charity's fund-raising event as a crowd draw - My favorite of the three ideas. The people on the charity board are prominent business leaders and community members who have the power to hire you for other events. And you will get great exposure as a featured performer. Michael Finney takes it one step further and hosts his own charity golf tournament in Las Vegas each year. Not only does he raise a lot of money for children's heart operations, but he meets a lot of influencial people. Recommended.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thank you, Jim. Great input - just what I needed.
(Can`t wait to dive into the Ice Cream Social!)

Ed
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10620 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Jim's Ice Cream Social program is a great place to start. Very well written from a real world perspective, with very good, useful information. You can't go wrong with it.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Thanks for the feedback. It's a simple concept that is a win/win. And you don't need a big show. Pick a local elementary school and try it. It could also work for a church, but I don't think you will draw as many people (unless it's a "mega" church with a large congregation).

I did one last month at my daughter's old elementary school and we sold all 400 tickets two days before the show. We could have sold another 100-150, but the room was pushed beyond the fire capacity as it was. It was a good thing the local fire chief had a student at the school, so we got permission to put an extra 100 people in the room for the show.

I got a few video clips from the show, including sawing the principal in half and it was great fun. The school nurse even got in on the trick and the audience loved it.

Alan Smith, from Kalamazoo, MI, emailed me a few days ago and he is having great success booking it in these tough economic times. Michigan has been especially hard hit by the recession, but he has five more scheduled before the end of the year. Schools really need help raising funds, and this can raise $1000 in one night and they have a great family event. You will have to work, however, to promote the show, but that's okay. Important skills to have anyway.

Best Wishes,

Jim Snack
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Jim, I managed to glance through the main report for the Ice Cream Social. This is indeed good stuff! I've got contacts with three local elementary schools, and have already spoken with one principal. Hopefully, we'll get this rolling soon!

Ed
David Johnson
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of David Johnson
The opportunity to help and give back to the community at large is greater right now than ever. The food banks, charity organizations, shelters, soup kitchens...etc...etc are in extreme desperate need as the number of people and families straped are stagering. This is blatantly obvious as major media sources are covering these outreaches and are calmoring to have those fortunate suport these well deserved programs.

The opportunity for you to create awarness, contribute and build YOUR brand is HUGE!!! Not to metion be paid accordingly for your time, contribution and efforts.

Just today I read in a logal rag that an organization supporting young mothers and their children is facing the hardest financial crunch in near a decade. In fact such peril that they have been forced to close their doors. Yet another challange for these women and children and the community as a whole.

Without a doubt in my mind or heart; I will be apart of the upcomming fundraiser to help them cover their existing costs and be a part of something greater.

Not for the money this time...

Foreseeing the INCREDIBLE bennifits and opportunites (not to mention the cash paid show and benefit leading up to the big event) to come from this. I BELEIVE that it is time for (me anyway) to stand up and pay it forward.

BUT and here's the BIG BIG but,...

ACT as a Business Professional in every sense, not only to be treated with GREAT respect but to allow those to see you as such.

IF, you aproach these opportunities in this manner NO-ONE and I mean NO-ONE will be looking for the freebies, suggesting you'll get tons of publicity, potential future work, etc, etc, etc.

Look to the media for opportunities. There is local interest and a valid concern with merit, they are following and FOR CERTAIN when you go into the publication office to sit down with the reporter that initially covered the story and explained how "they" shed light on such a deserving group that promoted you to SERVE, they WILL follow through with seeing the story as the local entertainmetn professioanl brought smiles, laughs, unbelievable memories and a TON of cash and awarenss for the group or organization.

David

PS Work it out so that you do get paid and should you wish to contribute a portion or all of your required fee (you're a business remember) back to the supporting group, make sure that you have one of those big ass cardboard cheques.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
David,

Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep! - What You Said!

It is just too easy to support and serve others in this way that is a super-win for EVERYONE to not take theses ideas, experiences and concepts and make a killer 'lifestyle' helping others get more of what they want, need, desire and deserve in today’s day and age! - Whoo Hoo!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ed,
Did ya' get my eMail and stuff?

I am, as always, at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
kazam65
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kazam65
YES! I have followed the Jim Snack course to the letter, and the same formula works well with getting into theatres as well (instead of splitting with the schools you split with the theatre). I have a website http://www.MagicShowFundraisers.com that I direct Principals and PTO Presidents to with a postcard mailing, and in every instance I've done one the school has been THRILLED with the results. And when you are doing the for them and making them money, it's easier to get "in" and also do assemblies and workshops.

Highly, Highly recommend Jim's course!!!

Alan in Kalamazoo
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Dean - got your emails and stuff. Awesome!! Got a ton of questions!

Ed
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Jim Snack,
What sawing did you use? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I use an older Bruce Chadwick Bow Saw Illusion, but I think any decent sawing will work, even the inexpensive Electric Sawing Illusion, if you has a good presentation.

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Is there another illusion suitable for a lower budget that might have close to the same impact?

Ed
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Ed,

The Visible Sawing Trick (by Mak, I believe) runs about $250, and with a good routine, can be effective. Contact Bill Gormont at Empire Magic in Rochester, NY for routine ideas. He once described his routine and it sounded great. It's not in print, but I'm sure if enough people bug him, he will write it up!

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
That's still a bit beyond me at this point.
But I guess there's nothing like sawing someone in half to generate some interest! 8>)

Ed
Proxy
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Proxy
I have a Mac Electric Saw Illusion I'd sell. I searched and found this thread where it is mentioned as a great effect. Mine folds into a carry case and folds out to a table. I don't have photos yet or price in mind so haven't posted on for sale yet. PM if interested. Jigsaw not included.
Proxy
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Proxy
http://www.taurusmagic.net/illusions.html
is an accurate picture of mine.
I'll post photos in the for sale section soon.